World

WHO probe team visits Wuhan market at heart of first virus outbreak

Guards block reporters waiting outside from entering the sprawling seafood market

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Jan 2021 3:26PM

WHO probe team visits Wuhan market at heart of first virus outbreak
The Huanan market is one of the first places where Covid-19 infections emerged over a year ago, and World Health Organisations investigators arrived at the site to begin a probe into the origins of the virus today. – AFP pic, January 31, 2021

WUHAN – A team of World Health Organisation (WHO) experts investigating the origins of Covid-19 visited a market in Wuhan today where one of the first reported clusters of infections emerged over a year ago.

Members of the group arrived at Huanan seafood market – which has been sealed since January last year – driving into its barricaded premises as guards quickly blocked others from entering, according to AFP journalists at the scene.

The mission, delayed by China and weighed down by political baggage, has a remit to explore how the virus jumped from animal to human.

But with the fieldwork element of a trip in its early stages, WHO officials have already downplayed expectations of finding the source of a virus which has killed more than two million people and devastated the global economy.

Today, the WHO team arrived at the Huanan market as part of a long-planned trip now closely monitored by Chinese authorities.

The experts did not take any questions and the sprawling market remains boarded up.

Security staff told reporters outside to leave and shook a tall ladder on which a photographer was sitting for a better view.

Earlier this week, state media outlet Global Times published a report downplaying the importance of Huanan as an early epicenter of the virus, claiming “subsequent investigations” have suggested the market was not the source of the outbreak.

Chinese authorities have relentlessly pushed a positive narrative of heroism and decisive, swift action in their fight against the coronavirus that has spurred an economic recovery and kept deaths down to 4,636. – AFP, January 31, 2021

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month