World

Britain’s ‘Captain Tom’ lockdown hero hospitalised with Covid-19

Tom Moore raised millions of pounds for charity by walking around his garden

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Feb 2021 10:50AM

Britain’s ‘Captain Tom’ lockdown hero hospitalised with Covid-19
Captain Tom Moore was knighted by the Queen in July and has become a role model in a nation hit by the worst Covid-19 death toll in Europe. – Twitter pic, February 1, 2021

LONDON – Captain Tom Moore, 100, who won British hearts with a Covid-19 fund raising drive, was hospitalised yesterday with the virus, his family said.

Moore raised millions of pounds for charity by walking around his garden and then became the oldest man to top the UK music charts with a cover of You'll Never Walk Alone.

"Over the last few weeks, he was being treated for pneumonia and last week tested positive for Covid-19," Moore's daughter, Hannah Ingram-Moore, said on Twitter.

"He was at home with us until today when he needed additional help with his breathing," she explained, adding that "he is being treated in a ward although he is not in ICU".

Moore was admitted to hospital in Bedford, central England.

The BBC quoted a spokesman for the family as saying that he had not yet been vaccinated for the virus owing to his pneumonia.

Moore, who served in India during World War II, raised £33 million (RM182 million) for staff of the state-run National Health Service (NHS) battling the coronavirus outbreak.

Part was raised by circling his garden 100 times with his walker just before his 100th birthday on April 30, last year, when he was given the honorary rank of colonel.

He then recorded You'll Never Walk Alone, a US show tune best known as the anthem of the Liverpool Football Club, which shot to No. 1 in the charts.

Yesterday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: "You've inspired the whole nation, and I know we are all wishing you a full recovery."

Moore, affectionately known as "Captain Tom", was knighted by the Queen in July and has become a role model in a nation hit by the worst Covid-19 death toll in Europe, now at more than 106,000. – AFP, February 1, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus