World

Guinea sees first Ebola deaths in 5 years

4 people who participated in nurse’s burial now hospitalised with deadly disease

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Feb 2021 9:30AM

Guinea sees first Ebola deaths in 5 years
WHO has eyed each new Ebola outbreak since 2016 with great concern. – Pixabay pic, February 14, 2021

CONAKRY – Four people have died of Ebola in Guinea, in the first resurgence of the disease in five years, said the health minister yesterday.

Remy Lamah told AFP that officials are “really concerned” about the deaths, the first since a 2013-16 epidemic – which began in the country – left 11,300 dead across the region.

One of the latest victims in Guinea was a nurse who fell ill late last month and was buried on February 1, National Health Security Agency head Sakoba Keita told local media.

“Among those who took part in the burial, eight people showed symptoms: diarrhoea, vomiting and bleeding.

“Three of them died, and four others are in hospital.”

The four deaths from Ebola haemorrhagic fever occurred in the southeast region of Nzerekore, he said.

Keita also told the press that one patient had “escaped”, but has since been found and hospitalised in the capital here.

He confirmed the comments to AFP without giving further detail.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has eyed each new outbreak since 2016 with great concern, treating the most recent one in the Democratic Republic of the Congo as an international health emergency.

Early today, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus tweeted that the United Nations health agency has been informed of two suspected cases of the deadly disease in Guinea.

“Confirmatory testing under way,” he tweeted, adding that WHO’s regional and country offices are “supporting readiness and response efforts”.

DR Congo has faced several outbreaks of the illness, with WHO on Thursday confirming a resurgence three months after authorities declared the end of the country’s latest outbreak.

The country had declared the six-month epidemic over last November. It was its 11th Ebola outbreak, claiming 55 lives out of 130 cases.

The widespread use of vaccinations, administered to more than 40,000 people, helped curb the disease.

The 2013-16 outbreak sped up the development of a vaccine against Ebola, with a global emergency stockpile of 500,000 doses planned to respond quickly to future outbreaks, said the vaccine alliance Gavi last month. – AFP, February 14, 2021

Related News

World / 3y

Uganda lifts lockdown in Ebola epicentre

World / 3y

Uganda extends lockdowns as Ebola spreads

World / 3y

Uganda Ebola epidemic death toll climbs to 44: WHO

World / 3y

Uganda locks down two districts over Ebola outbreak

World / 3y

US tightens travel screening as worries about Ebola mount

World / 3y

Uganda health worker dies of Ebola, raising toll to 10

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus