World

Global Covid-19 cases down 16% last week: WHO

By region, Southeast Asia registers 13% decline

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Feb 2021 12:30PM

Global Covid-19 cases down 16% last week: WHO

GENEVA – The number of new Covid-19 cases reported worldwide fell by 16% last week to 2.7 million, said the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The number of new deaths reported also fell 10% week-on-week to 81,000, said the United Nations health body in its weekly epidemiological update, using figures up to Sunday.

Five of the six WHO regions of the world registered a double-digit percentage decline in new cases, with only the Eastern Mediterranean showing a rise, of 7%.

New case numbers dropped 20% last week in Africa and the Western Pacific, Europe (18%), the Americas (16%) and Southeast Asia (13%).

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday said the number of fresh infections declined for a fifth consecutive week, dropping by almost half, from more than five million in the week of January 4.

“This shows that simple public health measures work, even in the presence of variants.

“What matters now is how we respond to this trend. The fire is not out, but we have reduced its size. If we stop fighting it on any front, it will come roaring back.”

The coronavirus variant of concern first detected in Britain was reported in 94 countries in the week to Monday, said the UN update, an increase of eight.

Local transmission of the variant, as opposed to imported cases, has been reported in at least 47 countries.

The variant first detected in South Africa was recorded in 46 nations, up by two, with local transmission in at least 12 of these countries.

The Brazilian variant, meanwhile, was detected in 21 countries, up by six, with local transmission in at least two nations.

Covax delivery plans

Covax, the global Covid-19 vaccine procurement and distribution effort that aims to ensure poorer countries are also able to access doses, said its final shipment list for the first deliveries will be issued next week, following WHO’s green light for the AstraZeneca jab.

On Monday, the health body gave its seal of approval to the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine being manufactured in India and South Korea, meaning it can now be shipped out via Covax, giving many countries their first Covid-19 shots.

“Covax anticipates the bulk of the first round of deliveries taking place in March, with some early shipments... occurring in late February,” said the facility co-led by WHO in a statement.

The interim distribution list issued on February 3 breaks down the programme’s initial 337.2 million doses – all, barring 1.2 million Pfizer-BioNTech doses, of which are from AstraZeneca.

Both WHO-approved vaccines require two injected doses.

Some 145 economies participating in Covax are set to receive enough doses to immunise 3.3% of their collective population by mid-2021.

“Deliveries for this first round of allocation will take place on a rolling basis and in tranches,” said Covax. – AFP, February 17, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren