World

Myanmar junta pledges new elections, power handover

Military will not stay in power for long, says state council spokesman

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Feb 2021 3:14PM

Myanmar junta pledges new elections, power handover
The Myanmar military via State Administration Council spokesman Zaw Min Tun says it plans to hold elections to hand over power, and that the country’s foreign policy will not change while it is under military rule. – AFP pic, February 17, 2021

HANOI – Myanmar’s military yesterday promised to hold fresh elections and relinquish power, and denied the conduct of a coup.

The military also alleged that the current wave of domestic demonstration contains acts of violence, reported Vietnam News Agency (VNA).

At its first press conference since February 1 when power was handed over to the State Administration Council led by its chairman, Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Min Aung Hlaing, council spokesman Zaw Min Tun said the military will not stay in power for a long time and it plans to hold elections to transfer power to the winner.

During that time, Myanmar’s foreign policy does not change. Myanmar still opens its doors to businesses and adheres to international agreements, he said. However, a date for the election has not been announced.

Zaw Min Tun said the prosecution process of President U Win Myint and State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi will take place in accordance with the law, adding that the two are in good health and detained in safe places.

He noted that there are some affairs that need to be addressed by legal action and the council will not do anything that goes beyond the law.

Win Myint and Suu Kyi, along with other officials from the National League for Democracy (NLD), were detained by the military on February 1. A one-year state of emergency was declared in Myanmar after that.

Previously, the military had alleged that there was massive voting fraud in the country’s November 2020 general elections, which saw the NLD win a majority of seats in both houses of parliament. However, Myanmar’s Union Election Commission dismissed the allegation.

The State Administration Council has reformed the Union Election Commission, taking steps to review the process of the general elections. – Bernama, February 17, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Opinion / 1y

Anwar Ibrahim and a nation in transition

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen