World

Google fires another lead AI ethics researcher

Margaret Mitchell troubled by dismissal of Timnit Gebru last year

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Feb 2021 8:30PM

Google fires another lead AI ethics researcher
Google says Margaret Mitchell downloaded and shared company documents, supposedly aimed at showing discriminatory treatment of Timnit Gebru, who was fired last year. – Wikipedia pic, February 20, 2021

SAN FRANCISCO – Google said yesterday it fired a lead artificial intelligence ethics researcher, following controversy last year over the tech giant’s dismissal of a black colleague who was an outspoken diversity advocate.

“I’m fired,” Margaret Mitchell announced on Twitter.

Google told AFP that after reviewing “this manager’s conduct, we confirmed that there were multiple violations of our code of conduct, as well as of our security policies, which included the exfiltration of confidential business-sensitive documents and private data of other employees”.

Mitchell’s dismissal came a day after Google named one of its few black executives, Marian Croak, as head of a new centre of expertise on responsible AI within Google Research.

“For the past six years, she’s been a vice-president at Google, working on everything from site reliability engineering to bringing public Wi-Fi to India’s railroads,” senior programme manager Sepi Hejazi Moghadam said of Croak in a blog post announcing her new position.

Mitchell was suspended from her job last month in response to her downloading and sharing company documents, according to a Google statement to Axios, which reported that the documents were aimed at showing discriminatory treatment of Timnit Gebru, who was fired last year.

In a tweet early this month, Mitchell said she was troubled by the firing of Gebru, her co-leader on the AI ethics team.

Attached to the post was a copy of an email in which Mitchell shared her thoughts on the matter.

“I am concerned about @timnitGebru’s firing from Google and its relationship to sexism and discrimination,” Mitchell said in the tweet.

Gebru is an outspoken diversity advocate and co-founder of a group devoted to increasing black talent in artificial intelligence.

In December, more than 1,400 Google employees demanded that the company explain why it dismissed Gebru.

Gebru had tweeted that Google told her a resignation she had not proffered was accepted, after she sent a message to an internal group lamenting the “silencing of marginalised voices”.

She had also told the “Brain Women and Allies” group in the email that she had been ordered to retract a research paper.

Gebru said at the time the dismissal message from Google noted “aspects of the email you sent last night to non-management employees in the brain group reflect behaviour that is inconsistent with the expectations of a Google manager”.

Gebru tweeted yesterday that Mitchell was fired by via email.

“I’m glad to know that people don’t fall for any of their bull,” Gebru said. “To the VPs at google, I pity you.” – AFP, February 20, 2021

Related News

Events / 1w

Selangor turns focus to AI, semiconductors as Techsphere Summit returns

Opinion / 2w

ASEAN leads global shift in workplace AI adoption, with Malaysia poised for gains

Malaysia / 2w

Drones, AI among measures to strengthen border security

Business / 3w

Robo.ai partners Abu Dhabi firm to set up AI technology group

Tech / 3w

CM: Penang to continue strengthening semiconductor ecosystem

Opinion / 3w

The closure of Network School: Another blow to Malaysia’s innovation ecosystem?

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured