World

UK lifts ban on use of domestic blood plasma donations in treatments

Change may help treat thousands of critically ill patients

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Feb 2021 9:00AM

UK lifts ban on use of domestic blood plasma donations in treatments
The change follows a comprehensive review last year by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency of the evidence on the safety of UK blood plasma for the manufacture of immunoglobulins. – AFP pic, February 25, 2021

LONDON – The United Kingdom government said today it will lift a decades-old ban on British donations of blood plasma for use in the manufacture of medicines, in a move that could help treat thousands of critically ill patients.

The medicines, known as immunoglobulins, are manufactured from blood plasma donated by the public and used to treat several serious diseases and conditions, including antibody deficiencies and severely reduced immune systems.

They are also being used in trials to treat the coronavirus.

The ban on UK-sourced plasma was introduced in 1998 in response to concerns over the spread of a human variant of BSE – known as “mad cow’s disease” – called Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease.

The change follows a comprehensive review last year by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) of the evidence on the safety of UK blood plasma for the manufacture of immunoglobulins.

“Following expert advice, I am pleased we are now able to lift this ban to help thousands of National Health Service (NHS) patients access these potentially life-saving treatments as quickly as possible,” Health Minister James Bethell said.

“The move will also help England become self-sufficient and we will not have to rely only on imports from other countries, ensuring every NHS patient can always access the treatments they need,” he added in a statement.

The Scottish government, which has responsibility for health policy in Scotland, said simultaneously it would also lift the ban there.

Britain has relied on imports of blood plasma from other countries, primarily the United States, to manufacture treatments.

Amid growing global demand for immunoglobulins, supplies have been stretched in recent years, with a “significant drop” in donations from the US, the Health Ministry noted.

Convalescent plasma is currently being trialled in Britain to treat Covid-19 and, if results prove positive, could see immunoglobulins from donated plasma rolled out more widely to coronavirus patients.

“I am very pleased that after our thorough review of the evidence, there is now the potential to produce life-saving treatments from plasma donated in the UK for the benefit of NHS patients,” MHRA chief executive June Raine said.

“Patient safety is at the forefront of all the work we do, and as with any medicine available in the UK, the MHRA ensures that robust safety standards have been met before treatments made from plasma can be given to the public.” – AFP, February 25, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl