World

Ecuador health minister quits over queue-jumping for Covid-19 jab

Juan Carlos Zevallos admits his elderly mum, ‘several’ others close to him received doses meant for healthcare, old folks’ home workers

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Feb 2021 7:30PM

Ecuador health minister quits over queue-jumping for Covid-19 jab
Juan Carlos Zevallos held the health portfolio for only 11 months. – eluniverso.com pic, February 27, 2021

QUITO – Ecuador’s health minister, Juan Carlos Zevallos, resigned yesterday in the latest scandal to hit a South American government over well-connected citizens jumping the queue for coronavirus vaccines.

Zevallos has admitted that his mother, 87, and “several” others close to him received a shot among the 42,000 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine the country has reserved for workers in healthcare and old-age homes.

Announcing the resignation on Twitter, President Lenin Moreno thanked his ex-minister for the work done during the pandemic that he said “helped save hundreds of thousands of lives”.

Zevallos, now under investigation, occupied the Health Ministry for 11 months.

He said he decided to quit “given the current political situation, and in order to allow continuity” of the vaccination campaign that began last month.

Peru and Argentina, too, have been hit by outcries over the rich and powerful getting their coronavirus jabs out of turn.

In all three countries, academics, politicians, journalists and sports personalities are among those alleged to have jumped the queue.

Moreno insisted on Twitter that none of his family or friends has received the jab.

Ecuador, a country of some 17.4 million people, has had more than 15,000 Covid-19 deaths out of some 281,000 infections.

The outgoing government said it has negotiated to acquire 20 million vaccine doses. – AFP, February 27, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Current health ailments not related to AstraZeneca vaccine, says Noor Hisham

Malaysia / 2y

Govt aware of AstraZeneca vaccine side effects when it was deployed, says Noor Hisham

World / 2y

AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine to be withdrawn globally

World / 2y

AstraZeneca admits Covishield can cause blood clots, low platelet count

World / 2y

Ecuador condemns killing of 4 children in armed attack

Malaysia / 2y

8.5 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine worth RM505 mil expired since June 1: PAC

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war