World

Ardern tells Kiwis to rebuke coronavirus rule-breakers

Public anger builds over infringements that forced the Auckland back into lockdown

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Mar 2021 3:00PM

Ardern tells Kiwis to rebuke coronavirus rule-breakers
A frustrated Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the breaches that led to Auckland being shut down for the second time in a month are intolerable. – AFP pic, March 1, 2021

WELLINGTON – Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern urged New Zealanders to “call out” Covid-19 rule-breakers today, as public anger built over a series of infringements that forced the country’s largest city back into lockdown.

A frustrated Ardern – who has won widespread praise for her pandemic response – said the breaches that led to Auckland being shut down for the second time in a month are intolerable.

She said some people involved in the latest outbreak had ignored clear instructions to remain in isolation and failed to fully disclose their movements to contact tracers.

“Those individuals are facing the judgement of the entire nation, there are consequences, undoubtedly,” Ardern told reporters.

New Zealand has recorded only 26 Covid-19 deaths in a population of five million, but Ardern said everyone needed to cooperate to keep the virus in check.

“If that means calling a family member or colleague out for not following the rules then we should do that. Do it with kindness, but do it,” she said.

The stay-at-home order was imposed in Auckland yesterday, after it became clear a snap three-day lockdown last month had not halted a cluster of infections in the city of 1.7 million.

Concerns centred on a family where the chain of transmission was unclear, although it has since emerged they had contact with infected members of another family in defiance of isolation orders.

One of those involved visited a doctor, a college and the gym while awaiting the results of a test that eventually showed he had the virus.

Ardern said “we’re all paying the price” for their actions. 

“Everyone is angry... I totally get that,” she said.

“At the same time, how do we make sure people tell us the truth because there is nothing more valuable to us than knowing, in these scenarios, where contact has occurred?”

The Auckland cluster currently comprises 15 cases, 12 of them active, and authorities will be closely monitoring any further infections before making a decision on easing restrictions.

New Zealand’s strategy is to eliminate coronavirus by following up every community case with extensive testing and contact tracing, backed where necessary by regional lockdowns.

Authorities have the ability to take enforcement action against rule-breakers, but have yet to issue a single fine for not wearing a mask on a plane or public transport. 

Asked if enforcement needed to be more proactive, Ardern said it is an operational matter for the police.

“Politicians aren’t the ones that determine enforcement, and that’s rightly so,” she said.

“But the provisions exist.” – AFP, March 1, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

Malaysian doctor couple saves passenger from allergic shock mid-flight

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations