World

US defence chief in Kuwait after death of emir Sheikh Sabah

Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Nawaf expressed gladness that President Donald Trump was recovering and well after his Covid-19 diagnosis

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Oct 2020 6:07PM

US defence chief in Kuwait after death of emir Sheikh Sabah
A handout picture released by the Kuwaiti Emiri Diwan shows the US Defence Secretary Mark Esper (L) meeting with the new emir Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad Al-Sabah (R) at the emiri terminal of the Kuwait international airport in the capital city. – EMIR OF KUWAIT DIWAN / AFP pic, October 4, 2020

KUWAIT CITY – Secretary of Defense Mark Esper on Sunday visited Kuwait to extend the condolences of the US administration to the country's leaders after the death of its emir, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah.

Esper expressed "sincere condolences" for the loss of Sheikh Sabah, who died on Tuesday at the age of 91, in a meeting with the new emir Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, who also expressed concern over the health of US President Donald Trump.

Sheikh Nawaf said he was glad that Trump, who has been hospitalised after being diagnosed with Covid-19, was "recovering and well". Esper thanked him for his "expression of concern".

Kuwait and the United States are close allies, bound by a defence agreement that expires in 2022. 

Their alliance was sealed with the Gulf War in 1991, during which a US-led international coalition expelled Saddam Hussein's Iraqi troops from Kuwait after seven months of occupation.

Camp Arifjan, near the Saudi border, is a key base for US troops stationed in the country.

Before arriving in Kuwait on Sunday, Esper spent the night in Qatar, another US ally in the oil-rich Gulf, where he discussed "the importance of the strong defence partnership" between the two countries. 

Esper thanked Qatar for hosting some 8,000 US military personnel at the Al-Udeid Air Base, the US's largest in the region. 

The Pentagon chief had been on a North Africa tour aimed at beefing up the fight against jihadists in war-torn Libya and the Sahel, and on Friday signed a military cooperation deal with Morocco. – AFP, October 4, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington