World

Pressure builds for ceasefire as Karabakh fighting rages

Turkey's foreign minister arrived in Azerbaijan for talks, while other foreign powers call for a halt to the fighting

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Oct 2020 8:00PM

Pressure builds for ceasefire as Karabakh fighting rages
The battles began on September 28 in a long-simmering territorial dispute over Nagorno-Karabakh, an ethnic Armenian enclave that broke away from Azerbaijan in the 1990s. – AFP pic, October 6, 2020

STEPANAKERT – Battles raged between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region on Tuesday, with both sides vowing to pursue the conflict despite increasing international pressure for a ceasefire. 

Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu landed in Azerbaijan for talks after Russia, the United States and France on Monday called for an "unconditional" halt to the fighting. 

Western powers are urging Turkey, a longstanding ally of Azerbaijan, to use its influence with Baku to restore calm after 10 straight days of clashes that have claimed more than 260 lives.

The battles began on September 28 in a long-simmering territorial dispute over Nagorno-Karabakh, an ethnic Armenian enclave that broke away from Azerbaijan in the 1990s.

Neither side has shown any inclination to slow hostilities despite a mounting civilian death toll.

Azerbaijan's defence ministry and Karabakh's foreign ministry both said fighting was continuing on several fronts on Tuesday morning.

Both sides continued to claim to have inflicted heavy losses in manpower and equipment, and to accuse each of other of targeting civilian areas.

The conflict has expanded in the last few days with shelling on big cities, including the regional capital Stepanakert and Azerbaijan's second-largest city, Ganja.

After several days of heavy bombing, Stepanakert was calm on Tuesday, according to an AFP journalist in the city, with the streets nearly empty.

Warning sirens rang out and the city was littered with glass and debris from previous shelling, but no explosions had been heard by mid-day.

Potential 'war crime'

Armenian Health Minister Arsen Torosyan told reporters near the border that he had seen a rocket landing very close to Stepanakert's main hospital.

"I'm not ruling out they are deliberately targeting medical facilities, which is a war crime," he said.

Azerbaijan's defence ministry claimed Tuesday that separatists had incurred major losses and were forced to retreat.

It said an ammunition depot near Stepanakert, rocket launchers and artillery had been destroyed.

The two sides have reported 265 deaths since the fighting erupted, including more than 45 civilians, but the real total is expected to be much higher as both sides are claiming to have inflicted heavy military casualties. 

Most of the confirmed deaths are from the Armenian side, which has reported nearly 220 fatalities among separatist fighters. Azerbaijan is not releasing any figures on its military deaths.

Christian-majority Armenia is in a military alliance of former Soviet states led by Russia, which has a permanent base in the country but has not shown any appetite for a military escalation of the conflict.

Turkey is a loyal ally of Azerbaijan, a fellow Muslim and Turkic country, and has been accused of dispatching mercenaries from Syria and Libya to join the fighting.

Moscow and leaders in several Western capitals have condemned the deployment of foreign fighters via Turkey and instead urged Turkey's leadership to work towards a political settlement to the fighting.

Karabakh's declaration of independence from Azerbaijan during the collapse of the Soviet Union sparked a war in the early 1990s that claimed 30,000 lives.

Talks to resolve the conflict – mediated by Russia, the United States and France – have made little progress since a 1994 ceasefire agreement. – AFP, October 6, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3y

Malaysians in Russia, Armenia, Belarus advised to stay vigilant

Business / 3y

M’sia urged to make Azerbaijan trade hub for neighbouring markets

World / 3y

AFP journalist killed in rocket attack in Eastern Ukraine

World / 3y

Turkiye-Syria quake deaths to top 50,000: UN relief chief

World / 3y

EU mission to Armenia will fuel confrontation: Russia

World / 3y

Armenia PM criticises Moscow-led security bloc

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen