World

Hong Kong to resume Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine roll-out on Monday

This follows previous suspension of vaccine after discovery of defective bottles

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Apr 2021 2:00PM

Hong Kong to resume Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine roll-out on Monday
Pfizer says its efficacy rate is 94%-95%, while the data available points to an efficacy rate of between 50%-80%, depending on the studies. – AFP pic, April 2, 2021

HONG KONG – Hong Kong will resume administering the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus jab on Monday after the pharma giant said a packaging flaw that temporarily halted its use did not affect its safety, officials said.

The financial hub suspended use of the German-made vaccine last month when Fosun, its China distributor, informed authorities that some vial caps were defective. 

It was a blow to the roll-out of mass vaccination programmes against a deadly virus that has killed more than 2.7 million people around the world and hammered the global economy.

“BioNTech told us that the batch of vaccines concerned did not have quality and safety problems,” Hong Kong’s civil service chief Patrick Nip, who has been leading the government's cross-department anti-virus initiative, said yesterday. 

“Administration of the BioNTech vaccines will resume on Monday,” he said, adding that a new batch of 300,000 doses would arrive in the city today.

Health authorities in Hong Kong had previously stressed that any defective bottles were discarded before being given out, and that they paused the programme temporarily out of an abundance of caution. 

More than 180,000 residents who reserved Pfizer-BioNTech vaccinations were affected by the 12-day suspension, including some 30,000 people who were due to receive their second jab within the recommended 21-day window.

Citing BioNTech’s own analysis, Hong Kong’s health director Constance Chan said the problem in some vials had been traced to how caps reacted to the -70°C temperatures the vaccine must be kept in for storage. 

When the vials were defrosted to be prepared for administering, she said, air sometimes leaked in.

Officials said the new batch of vaccines arriving in Hong Kong today had been manufactured in another factory in Germany where over 15,000 vials were tested and no defects were found. 

More than 460,000 residents of Hong Kong have received their first jab of coronavirus vaccines since the campaign kicked off over one month ago, accounting for about 7% of the city’s population aged 16 and above.

“It’s still far from our immunity target,” Nip said. “We appeal to all eligible members of the public to get vaccinated.”

Authorities currently offer China’s Sinovac and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Sinovac received fast-track approval despite not publishing peer-reviewed clinical data.

The data available points to an efficacy rate of between 50%-80%, depending on the studies.

Pfizer says its efficacy rate is 94%-95%. – AFP, April 2, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Current health ailments not related to AstraZeneca vaccine, says Noor Hisham

Malaysia / 2y

Govt aware of AstraZeneca vaccine side effects when it was deployed, says Noor Hisham

World / 2y

AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine to be withdrawn globally

World / 2y

AstraZeneca admits Covishield can cause blood clots, low platelet count

Malaysia / 2y

8.5 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine worth RM505 mil expired since June 1: PAC

World / 3y

German courts confront suits against vaccine makers BioNTech, AstraZeneca

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen