World

Mystery woman admits US$590,000 payment from dismissed cardinal

Italian cardinal Angelo Becciu was forced to resign by the pope last month

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 08 Oct 2020 7:32AM

Mystery woman admits US$590,000 payment from dismissed cardinal
Forced to resign by the pope, Italian cardinal Angelo Becciu has been accused of syphoning off funds destined for the poor to family members. — AFP pic, October 8, 2020

VATICAN CITY — A 39-year-old Italian woman confirmed Wednesday that she received 500,000 euros (US$590,000) from the Vatican via influential Italian cardinal Angelo Becciu, forced to resign by the pope last month following accusations of embezzlement and nepotism.

"I didn't steal a single euro," Cecilia Marogna told newspaper Domani of the payments in tranches of tens of thousands of euros to her company based in the Slovenian capital Ljubljana.

Rather, "I have a letter from the cardinal giving me the right to travel and conduct diplomatic relations to help the Church in difficult countries," she said, claiming to know "senior members of the Italian secret services".

Marogna, 39, is like the 72-year-old Becciu a native of the Italian island Sardinia.

The payments to her came while Becciu was number two in the Vatican's Secretariat of State, which manages the Church's vast donations.

He has been accused of syphoning off funds destined for the poor to family members — a charge he denies.

Marogna denied being Becciu's "mistress", claiming that she is a "political analyst and intelligence expert" and developed "a network of relationships in Africa and the Middle East" to protect the Vatican's representatives abroad.

Several Italian media outlets received anonymous envelopes with details from the accounts of Marogna's company, Logsic.

Investigative TV programme Le Iene broadcast some of them showing spending of 200,000 euros on luxury products, including 8,000 euros at Chanel and 12,000 euros with Frau for an armchair.

"I think I have the right to buy myself an armchair after all that work!" Marogna said, claiming that she is an innocent victim of internal power struggles at the Holy See.

She added that some of the money had gone on a handbag she gave to the wife of a Nigerian friend, who she said had advised her on the dangers Vatican missions in African countries faced. — AFP, October 8, 2020

Related News

World / 3y

AFP journalist killed in rocket attack in Eastern Ukraine

World / 3y

Turkiye-Syria quake deaths to top 50,000: UN relief chief

World / 3y

Body of ex-pope Benedict to lie in state at Vatican

World / 3y

Ex-pope Benedict XVI’s mixed legacy on child sex abuse

World / 3y

Pope Francis to lead historic funeral for ex-pontiff Benedict

World / 3y

At the Vatican, faithful hail ‘a great pope’

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut