World

Egypt ‘seizes’ Suez megaship, demands US$1 bil compensation

Blockage held up US$9.6 billion worth of cargo between Asia and Europe each day it was stuck

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Apr 2021 9:15AM

Egypt ‘seizes’ Suez megaship, demands US$1 bil compensation
The 200,000-tonne MV Ever Given got diagonally stuck in the narrow but crucial global trade artery on March 23, triggering a six-day-long effort to dislodge it. – AFP pic, April 14, 2021

CAIRO – The megaship which blocked Egypt’s Suez Canal and crippled world trade for nearly a week has been “seized” on court orders until the vessel’s owners pay US$900 million (RM3.7 billion), canal authorities said yesterday.

The 200,000-tonne MV Ever Given got diagonally stuck in the narrow but crucial global trade artery in a sandstorm on March 23, triggering a mammoth six-day-long effort by Egyptian personnel and international salvage specialists to dislodge it.

Maritime data company Lloyd’s List said the blockage by the vessel, longer than four football fields, held up an estimated US$9.6 billion worth of cargo between Asia and Europe each day it was stuck.

Egypt also lost between US$12 and US$15 million in revenues for each day the waterway was closed, according to the canal authority.

The MV “Ever Given was seized due to its failure to pay US$900 million” compensation, Suez Canal Authority chief Osama Rabie was quoted as saying by Al-Ahram, a state-run newspaper.

Rabie did not explicitly cite the Japanese owners Shoei Kisen Kaisha, but a different source at the SCA told AFP yesterday that negotiations over damages between that company, insurance firms and the canal authority are ongoing. 

The Japanese-owned, Taiwanese-operated and Panama-flagged ship was moved to unobstructive anchorage in the canal’s Great Bitter Lake after it was freed on March 29, and tailbacks totalling 420 vessels at the northern and southern entrances to the canal were cleared earlier this month.

The compensation figure was calculated based on “the losses incurred by the grounded vessel as well as the flotation and maintenance costs” Rabie said, citing  a ruling handed down by the Ismailia Economic Court in Egypt. 

The grounding of the ship and the intensive salvage efforts are also reported to have resulted in significant damage to the canal. 

Complex litigation 

In its court filing, the SCA referred to Articles 59 and 60 of Egypt’s maritime trade law, which stipulates that the ship would remain seized until the amount is paid in full, Al-Ahram reported.

But analysts have warned that apportioning legal responsibility for losses incurred by the numerous parties is likely to play out in protracted and complex international litigation.

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has ruled out any widening of the southern stretch of the canal where the boat became diagonally stuck.

Sisi oversaw an expansion of a northern section, which included widening an existing stretch and introducing a 35km parallel waterway, to much fanfare in 2014-15.

But that was achieved at a cost of more than US$8 billion, without significantly increasing revenues from the canal. 

The Suez Canal earned Egypt just over US$5.7 billion in the 2019/20 fiscal year, according to official figures – little changed from the US$5.3 billion earned back in 2014.

Egyptian authorities have presented the dislodging of the ship as a vindication of the country’s engineering and salvage capabilities, but observers point also to the crucial role played by international salvage experts. – AFP, April 14, 2021

Related News

Business / 1w

Port businesses badly hit by uncertainty over commingled oil tax – maritime expert

Malaysia / 3w

Koh, Amri families must wait longer for compensation after court upholds stay

Malaysia / 4mth

Ex-AirAsia co-pilot awarded RM147,400 over unlawful dismissal

Malaysia / 5mth

PPC closely monitoring global shipping conditions amidst escalating tensions in Middle East

Malaysia / 6mth

Government completes repayment of RM22.45b in overpaid taxes last year - highest in 5 years

Malaysia / 8mth

Paris Court of Appeal annuls 'Final Award' - orders claimants to pay Malaysia

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war