World

Covid-19 vaccine giant tweets Biden to end US raw materials ‘embargo’

Serum Institute chief says ban lift will aid in struggle to meet jab demands for developing nations

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Apr 2021 11:59PM

Covid-19 vaccine giant tweets Biden to end US raw materials ‘embargo’
Serum Institute head Adar Poonawalla calls on US President Joe Biden to lift America's raw material export ban so the production of Covid-19 vaccines can be ramped up. – AFP pic, April 16, 2021

MUMBAI – The head of the world’s largest vaccine-maker directly tweeted US President Joe Biden today urging him to lift an export ban on raw materials desperately needed to make more coronavirus shots.

The unusual step by Serum Institute (SII) chief Adar Poonawalla underlined the crisis in providing vaccines to developing nations, many of which rely heavily on the firm for supplies.

“Respected @POTUS, if we are to truly unite in beating this virus, on behalf of the vaccine industry outside the US, I humbly request you to lift the embargo of raw material exports out of the US so that vaccine production can ramp up,” he tweeted.

There was no immediate response from the US leader on Twitter.

The world’s biggest vaccine producer by volume, SII has struggled to meet demand for the AstraZeneca jab, which it manufactures, after India put the brakes on allowing exports of the shots as it battles a ferocious second wave.

Poonawalla said last week that production was “very stressed” and called on the Indian government to provide it with financial assistance.

The company’s production of a jab developed by US firm Novavax has also hit roadblocks due to the US restrictions, with Poonawalla telling an Indian newspaper last week that the embargo was “as good as banning vaccines”.

Developed in record time, the dozen or so Covid-19 vaccines already in use around the world have already triggered an exponential increase in production, meaning raw materials are now running short.

SII, which struck a deal to supply 200 million doses to Covax, a World Health Organisation-backed effort to procure and distribute inoculations to poor countries, has seen its profile soar since the pandemic, with rich nations also clamouring to buy its jab.

But the Covax programme has been hampered by wealthy nations hogging the supply, with WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus yesterday criticising the “shocking and expanding disparity in the global distribution of vaccines”.

The company recorded annual revenues of more than US$800 million (RM3.302 billion) in 2019-2020, but the export ban has prompted it to ask India’s government for financial help since New Delhi pays it less per shot than it earns from overseas sales.

India, which has recorded over 14 million infections since the start of the pandemic, began vaccinating people aged over 45 this month, aiming to inoculate 300 million people by August. So far, it has administered around 117 million shots. – AFP, April 16, 2021

Related News

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

Malaysia / 2y

Current health ailments not related to AstraZeneca vaccine, says Noor Hisham

Malaysia / 2y

Govt aware of AstraZeneca vaccine side effects when it was deployed, says Noor Hisham

World / 2y

AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine to be withdrawn globally

World / 2y

AstraZeneca admits Covishield can cause blood clots, low platelet count

Malaysia / 2y

8.5 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine worth RM505 mil expired since June 1: PAC

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest