World

UN calls for 'urgent ceasefire' in Karabakh

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights appealed for both sides to refrain from using explosives in populated areas

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Oct 2020 10:00PM

UN calls for 'urgent ceasefire' in Karabakh
Some 400 lives have so far been lost including military casualties, and thousands of people have fled their homes. – AFP pic, October 9, 2020

GENEVA – The UN rights chief voiced alarm Friday at civilian suffering in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region after nearly two weeks of clashes between Armenia and Azerbaijan, calling for an "urgent ceasefire".

In a statement, Michelle Bachelet said it was "deeply worrying that in recent days we have seen populated areas reportedly targeted and shelled with heavy weaponry in and around the conflict area."

There was a need for "an urgent ceasefire due to the impact on civilians," the statement said.

Her comment came as Armenia and Azerbaijan's foreign ministers were due to meet in Moscow Friday amid hopes they could broker a halt to the renewed hostilities.

The fresh fighting over Karabakh – an ethnic Armenian region of Azerbaijan that broke from Baku's control in what prompted a devastating war in the early 1990s – erupted late last month.

Both sides blame the other for the biggest outbreak in violence since a 1994 ceasefire.

Bachelet's office said it had received reports that it had not yet been able to verify that some 53 civilians, including children, had been killed in the fighting since September 27.

Some 400 lives have so far been lost including military casualties, and thousands of people have fled their homes.

"I remind all parties to the conflict to uphold their obligations under international humanitarian law to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure," Bachelet said.

'Mutually dehumanising'

All sides in the conflict have an obligation to avoid "the use of explosive weapons with wide area effects in populated areas," she added.

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights also appealed to countries "with influence over parties to the conflict ... to do everything within their power to ensure respect for international humanitarian law, including the protection of civilians."

Bachelet voiced particular outrage over reports that cluster munitions had been used in the conflict area.

"Cluster munitions scatter small, often bright or colourful bomblets over wide areas, many of which fail to explode immediately but can then kill and maim for years afterwards," she pointed out.

"The use of such munitions should stop immediately."

The UN rights chief also called on all sides to refrain from using "inflammatory, pejorative or discriminatory language to stoke divisions."

"Hate speech leads nowhere but to a mutually dehumanising and destructive hatred that, as we tragically see now, periodically erupts into conflict and loss of life," she said.

And she warned that the violence could hamper efforts to rein in the spread of Covid-19 in the region. – AFP, October 9, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Agong disappointed that US vetoed UNSC resolution urging Gaza ceasefire

Malaysia / 2y

M’sia commends 121 countries that stood up for Gaza via UN resolution

World / 2y

Gaza: UN General Assembly adopts resolution for immediate truce

Malaysia / 2y

M’sia backs call for UNGA’s 10th emergency special session tomorrow

Malaysia / 2y

Golf at Pebble Beach or kenduri in NS?

Malaysia / 2y

Piece back ‘utterly shattered’ UN vision, use charter for conflict resolutions: Anwar

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut