World

Indian PM rules out lockdown despite Covid-19 second wave

Move should be considered ‘last resort’, says Narendra Modi

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Apr 2021 9:30AM

Indian PM rules out lockdown despite Covid-19 second wave
The Indian prime minister has appealed to the people to not panic and strictly follow Covid-19 protocols. – EPA pic, April 21, 2021

NEW DELHI – Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi yesterday ruled out a lockdown amid the second wave of Covid-19 in the country, reported Xinhua news agency.

Addressing the nation on TV for the first time amid the second wave, Modi also appealed to state governments to consider lockdown as a “last resort”.

Serious efforts are being made to ensure enough production and supply of oxygen across the country, he added, especially in cities where it is urgently required.

He said unlike last year, when Covid-19 had initially struck, the country is better placed now.

“We have enough medical facilities to curb the pandemic spread.”

Modi appealed to the people to not panic, strictly follow Covid-19 protocols and not move out of homes until urgently required.

“We will overcome the second wave of the pandemic like we did last time.”

India’s Covid-19 death toll reached 180,530 yesterday. As many as 259,170 new cases were recorded between Monday and yesterday, taking the total tally to 15,321,089.

There are 2,031,977 active cases in the country, with an increase of 102,648 cases through Monday, even as 13,108,582 people have been cured and discharged from hospitals, so far. – Bernama, April 21, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 13h

Billionaire numbers reach record high as wealth remains concentrated

Malaysia / 4w

Kedah MB’s “Cina ada China, India ada India” remark draws criticism over citizenship narrative

Events / 1mth

India’s MedTech firm Meril opens first Malaysian academy to expand clinical training network

Malaysia / 2mth

Anwar congratulates Modi on becoming India's longest-serving elected PM

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66