World

Azerbaijan says hit missile launch sites

First time Azerbaijan claimed to have hit targets inside Armenia since heavy fighting broke out

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Oct 2020 5:20PM

Azerbaijan says hit missile launch sites
Continuing clashes are raising fears of the conflict expanding into an all-out, multi-front war between the two ex-Soviet countries. – AFP pic, October 14, 2020

BAKU – Azerbaijan said today it had destroyed missile launch sites in Armenia that were being used to target civilian areas during the fighting over Nagorno-Karabakh.

Armenia's defence ministry confirmed that areas inside the country had been targeted, denied its forces were firing into Azerbaijan and said it now felt justified in targeting military positions inside Azerbaijan.

It appeared to be the first time Azerbaijan claimed to have hit targets inside Armenia itself since heavy fighting broke out last month between Azerbaijani forces and Armenia-backed separatists in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.

The Azerbaijani defence ministry said in statements that it had destroyed a ballistic missile system and a rocket system in Armenia in separate attacks overnight on Wednesday.

The systems were deployed in areas of Armenia bordering the Kalbajar district of Azerbaijan that is under separatist control, it said.

The first launch site was aiming at the Azerbaijani cities of Ganja, Mingachevir and other populated areas, it said, adding that there had been no civilian infrastructure nearby.

Armenian defence ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan confirmed military sites in the area had been hit.

"The attack was carried out based on the mere assumption that the subject equipment was allegedly going to strike at Azerbaijan's civilian settlements," she said on Twitter.

"It goes without question that this allegation is devoid of any basis... Not a single missile, shell or projectile has been fired in the direction of Azerbaijan."

In response, Armenia's military now "reserves the right to target any military installations and combat movements on the territory of Azerbaijan," she said.

Heavy fighting erupted on September 27 over Karabakh, an ethnic Armenian region of Azerbaijan that broke from Baku's control during a war in the 1990s. 

Clashes have continued despite a humanitarian ceasefire agreed at the weekend.

The fighting has so far been concentrated on the frontline around Karabakh, where Azerbaijani forces are facing off against separatist fighters.

But continuing clashes are raising fears of the conflict expanding into an all-out, multi-front war between the two ex-Soviet countries. – AFP pic, October 14, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 4mth

In a fractured world, Malaysia must remember who we are

Malaysia / 4mth

Domestic medicine supply remains stable and under control – MOH

Opinion / 4mth

Middle East conflict: Most powerful weapon is the disruption of economic stability

Malaysia / 5mth

PPC closely monitoring global shipping conditions amidst escalating tensions in Middle East

Malaysia / 5mth

Middle East conflict: RON95 price under control - PM Anwar

Opinion / 5mth

US-Israel - lighting the fuse for a Middle Eastern explosion

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut