World

Russia offers US one-year freeze on nuclear warhead numbers

Tensions have raged over the fate of the treaty, which caps the number of warheads held by Washington and Moscow and expires in February

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Oct 2020 9:00PM

Russia offers US one-year freeze on nuclear warhead numbers
Russian President Vladimir Putin last week proposed extending by one year the New START treaty, which is due to expire in February 2021. – AFP pic, October 20, 2020

MOSCOW – Russia said on Tuesday it was ready to offer the United States a mutual one-year freeze on the number of nuclear warheads held by both countries in order to extend a landmark arms reduction deal due to expire next year.

"Russia offers to extend the New START by one year and is ready to take on a political commitment with the United States to freeze the number of nuclear warheads both sides have for this period," the foreign ministry said in a statement.

Russian President Vladimir Putin last week proposed extending by one year the New START treaty, which is due to expire in February 2021. 

The White House described the proposal as a "non-starter" unless accompanied by a freeze on the number of nuclear warheads.

The ministry said the suspension could only take place on the understanding that there were no "additional" demands from the United States.

But it added the extra time gained could be used for talks on the future control of nuclear weapons.

Tensions have raged for months over the fate of New START, which caps the number of nuclear warheads held by Washington and Moscow and expires on February 5, 2021.

The 10-year agreement was signed in 2010 at the peak of hopes for a "reset" in relations between Russia and the United States, spearheaded by former US president Barack Obama and then Russian counterpart Dmitry Medvedev.

But as Putin returned to the presidency in 2012, tensions rapidly built up again.

National security advisor Robert O'Brien had rejected Putin's offer, countering that both nations must cap warheads during the period.

O'Brien said the United States had already proposed a one-year extension to give time to negotiate beyond the treaty's scheduled expiration in February – with the understanding that the world's two biggest nuclear powers would freeze warhead work in the interim period. – AFP, October 20, 2020

Related News

Education / 1w

Zambry leads Malaysia delegation to Russia for bilateral cooperation talks

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

World / 2w

Why Russia is expanding the Northern Sea Route

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Education / 1mth

Malaysia must embrace AI in education to avoid falling behind

Opinion / 2mth

ASEAN’s renaissance: A new lease of life in the multipolar world

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons