World

Countries battle virus surge as WHO warns of ‘exponential’ cases

US is worst-affected with 224,000 deaths, followed by Brazil, India, Mexico and Britain

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Oct 2020 12:00PM

Countries battle virus surge as WHO warns of ‘exponential’ cases
The World Health Organisation is warning of health systems’ ability to cope after a massive second massive of Covid-19 infections in several countries. – AFP file pic, October 25, 2020

PARIS – More countries tightened anti-coronavirus measures, with France extending a curfew and Belgium bringing forward its own curbs as new infections surged in many parts of the world.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned of an “exponential” rise in infections threatening health systems’ ability to cope with a second wave of cases, testing many nations that appeared to have the virus under control earlier this year.

Governments are now struggling to balance new restrictions against the need to revive economies already battered by earlier draconian lockdowns after the virus first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year.

But populations weary of social isolation and economic hardship have bristled at new restrictions.

Europe has seen a spike in new infections and taken a raft of new measures, mostly trying to avoid new nation-wide lockdowns – from night-time curfews to more restrictions on social gatherings.

After Germany recorded its 10,000th coronavirus death, Chancellor Angela Merkel said: “The order of the day is to reduce contacts, (and) to meet as few people as possible.”

Polish President Andrzej Duda said he had become the latest public figure to test positive for coronavirus as the EU country faces record infection rates.

Duda, 48, said in a tweet that he had tested positive but “felt fine” and was still on the job.

Spain became the first European country earlier this week to officially record a million coronavirus cases since the start of the pandemic.

People across the country were bracing for a national state of emergency, overnight curfews and other new containment measures.

“They probably should have done this a long time ago or taken other steps, like restricting the number of people taking public transport or going to work,” 22-year-old student Patricia Vazquez said in the capital Madrid.

Colombia became the latest country to record a million confirmed Covid-19 cases, as France recorded a 24-hour record of more than 45,000 infections a day after passing the same milestone.

The French government extended an overnight curfew to cover areas home to around 46 million people – two out of every three French.

“The difference compared to the first wave is that now we also have all the chronic pathologies of the winter period to take care of,” emergency doctor Agnes Ricard-Hibon told local television.

Prime Minister Jean Castex said that another 700 million euros (RM3.45 billion) would be made available to help poor people who have been hit hardest by the pandemic.

‘Close to capacity’

On Friday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that “too many countries are seeing an exponential increase in Covid-19 cases and that is now leading to hospitals and intensive care units running close to or above capacity”.

“We urge leaders to take immediate action to prevent further unnecessary deaths.”

Across the planet, the pandemic has now claimed the lives of 1.1 million people and infected more than 42 million, with the WHO warning the northern hemisphere was at an especially critical juncture.

The United States is the worst-affected country with 224,000 deaths, followed by Brazil, India, Mexico and Britain.

In the US, the virus has become a central issue ahead of a November 3 presidential election, with President Donald Trump sparring over his handling of the pandemic with challenger Joe Biden.

“The idea that somehow this White House has done anything but completely screw this thing up is nonsense,” said Trump’s predecessor Barack Obama, who hit the campaign trail to campaign for Biden, his former deputy.

The WHO’s message for nations to do more was echoed by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), but moves to reintroduce restrictions were met with protest in parts of the continent.

In Naples, hundreds of demonstrators answered a call on social media to resist a new curfew, throwing objects at police and setting rubbish bins on fire.

The country is reeling from its worst post-war recession after a two-month national lockdown prompted by one of Europe’s worst outbreaks, and authorities have been reluctant to renew drastic quarantine restrictions. – AFP, October 25, 2020 

Related News

Community / 1mth

Penang: Old age is not a problem, but a new reality to embrace, says Exco

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 3mth

Penang on track to ensure the best for the aged

World / 3mth

European countries monitor cruise-linked Hantavirus cases as WHO urges calm

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 9mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline