World

7 held after British army boards threatened oil tanker in English Channel

Armed forces gain control of the ship and crew members are safe and well

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Oct 2020 11:00AM

7 held after British army boards threatened oil tanker in English Channel
British soldiers boarded a tanker in the English Channel (in February 2019), off the Isle of Wight, after an alert was raised for the welfare of the ship’s crew Glyn. – AFP file pic, October 26, 2020

LONDON – British soldiers yesterday boarded an oil tanker off England’s south coast and detained seven suspects, the defence ministry said, after the crew were forced to take shelter from stowaways who threatened them.

The alert had been raised for the welfare of the crew of the Nave Andromeda tanker around 10am GMT (6pm Malaysian time) after they were forced to retreat to a safe area.

“In response to a police request, the Defence Secretary and Home Secretary authorised Armed Forces personnel to board a ship in the English Channel... that was subject to suspected hijacking,” the Ministry of Defence posted on Twitter.

“Armed forces have gained control of the ship and seven individuals have been detained,” the ministry said, adding that the crew were “safe and well”.

Stowaways “had made verbal threats towards the crew” but “no-one has been reported injured”, police in the southern county of Hampshire said earlier, adding that they had imposed a 5km exclusion zone around the tanker.

The ship was around six miles off the Isle of Wight on England’s south coast, police added.

Britain’s coastguard and border protection agencies were called in to help defuse the incident.

A coastguard spokesman said two helicopters had been sent to support the police.

Law firm Tatham & Co., which represents the ship’s owners, told the BBC that the incident was “100% not a hijacking”.

Rather, the stowaways resisted being locked in a cabin after being discovered, the lawyers added.

A source close to the shipping company also told the BBC that crew had been aware of stowaways on board for some time, but that they had turned violent as the vessel approached Britain.

The crew then retreated to the ship’s secure citadel, where attackers are unable to enter, added the source.

The boat left Nigeria last week carrying 42,000 tonnes of crude oil and was due to dock in Southampton earlier Sunday. – AFP, October 26, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit