World

A month of fighting in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh

There seems to be no end in sight to the fighting, as ceasefires are repeatedly broken

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Oct 2020 9:00PM

A month of fighting in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh
On October 2, regional capital Stepanakert came under heavy shelling. – AFP file pic, October 27, 2020

PARIS – Nagorno-Karabakh, a breakaway region of Azerbaijan mainly inhabited by ethnic Armenians and backed by Yerevan, has been the scene of deadly clashes for the past month.

Here is a timeline:

'Counter-offensive'

Armenia and Azerbaijan, two former Soviet republics in the Caucasus, have accused each other of initiating deadly clashes that broke out on September 27 in their decades-long territorial dispute.

Ethnic Armenian separatists seized the Nagorno-Karabakh region from Baku in a 1990s war that claimed 30,000 lives. Since then, clashes have occurred repeatedly.

Azerbaijan's defence ministry says it launched a "counter-offensive" to protect the population, while separatist authorities claim the troops bombed the regional capital Stepanakert.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Nagorno-Karabakh authorities declare martial law and military mobilisation, while Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev also declares martial law and a curfew in Baku and several cities.

'Fuel to the flames' 

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a firm supporter of Azerbaijan, on September 28 calls on Armenia to end its "occupation" of Nagorno-Karabakh.

The next day Armenia says a Turkish F-16 fighter jet that took off from Azerbaijan shot down an Armenian warplane.

Turkey denies the claim. Moscow, which has a military alliance with Yerevan, urges Ankara not to "add fuel to the flames" by encouraging Baku's campaign.

The United Nations Security Council unanimously calls on both sides to stop fighting.

Regional conflagration fears

On September 30, Russia says fighters from Syria and Libya are being deployed to the conflict.

Azerbaijan's leader vows to pursue military action until a full Armenian withdrawal from the disputed territory.

On October 1, the presidents of France, Russia, and the US call for a ceasefire.

Stepanakert bombarded

On October 2, regional capital Stepanakert comes under heavy shelling.

Armenia expresses readiness to work with international mediators to reach a ceasefire with Azerbaijan.

On October 4, fighting intensifies, with Stepanakert and Ganja in western Azerbaijan under fire.

'Tragedy'

On October 6, Armenia's Pashinyan says Turkey's encouragement of Azerbaijan is to blame for the outbreak of fighting and is confident of Russian support.

The following day, separatist authorities say half of the enclave's 140,000 inhabitants have been displaced.

On October 8, the Ghazanchetsots (Holy Saviour) Cathedral, an iconic site for the Armenian Apostolic Church in Karabakh, is bombed.

On October 10, after Russia-mediated talks, Armenia and Azerbaijan announce a ceasefire, but it is broken as soon as it takes effect, both sides blaming each other.

Fresh strikes

On October 14, the Azerbaijan army says it hit missile launch sites in Armenia.

Yerevan says it "reserves" the right to hit any infrastructure or military site anywhere in Azerbaijan.

Turkey's president denies any pro-Turkish Syrian forces are engaged in the conflict.

On October 15, Stepanakert suffers fresh bombardment.

Two days later, Azerbaijan vows to avenge the deaths of 13 civilians in an overnight missile strike on Ganja. Armenian separatists justify their riposte by accusing Baku of targeting civilian infrastructure.

Nearly 5,000 dead: Putin

On October 18 a new humanitarian truce is immediately breached. Armenia and Azerbaijan again blame each other.

After the UN Security Council calls for respect of a ceasefire, Armenia's prime minister on October 21 rules out a diplomatic solution.

The following day Putin says the death toll in more than three weeks of fighting is "nearing 5,000". The officially confirmed number of fatalities remains below one thousand.

On October 26, a third ceasefire collapses and Armenia and Azerbaijan trade accusations of violating it within minutes of it coming into force. – AFP, October 27, 2020

Related News

Education / 1w

Zambry leads Malaysia delegation to Russia for bilateral cooperation talks

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

World / 2w

Why Russia is expanding the Northern Sea Route

Education / 1mth

Malaysia must embrace AI in education to avoid falling behind

LENS: KL / 3mth

Russian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur holds special May Day remembrance

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas to negotiate oil purchase with Russia to secure national supply

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)