World

World leaders denounce stabbings in France

Govt calls assault an act of Islamist terror

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Oct 2020 7:01AM

World leaders denounce stabbings in France
Three people died in a stabbing attack at a church in Nice, France, yesterday. – Twitter pic, October 30, 2020

PARIS – World leaders have condemned yesterday’s fatal stabbings in the city of Nice that France called an Islamist terrorist attack.

Condemnation came from US President Donald Trump, United Nations chief Antonio Guterres, as well as European, Arab and Israeli leaders.

“Our hearts are with the people of France. America stands with our oldest Ally in this fight,” tweeted Trump.

“These Radical Islamic terrorist attacks must stop immediately. No country, France or otherwise, can long put up with it!”

One of the first to condemn was Turkey, embroiled in a row with France for its permitting publication of cartoons of Prophet Mohammed that have triggered a wave of attacks against French people.

“We strongly condemn the attack committed today inside the Notre-Dame church in Nice,” said a Turkish Foreign Ministry statement.

It expressed solidarity with France and offered condolences to relatives of the three people killed in the attack.

‘Hateful terror attack’

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also condemned the attack, adding that “peace cannot be achieved with ugly provocation”.

Elsewhere in the Middle East, Arab and Islamic leaders drew a clear distinction between their religion and violent acts claiming to defend it.

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said it “stands as a government and people with... France in combating this hateful incident”.

Qatar voiced strong condemnation and reiterated its rejection of violence and terrorism, especially against houses of worship and regardless of the motives.

Its Foreign Ministry also expressed condolences to the victims’ families.

Lebanese prime minister-designate Saad Hariri urged Muslims “to reject this criminal act that has nothing to do with Islam or the Prophet”.

EU solidarity

European Union leaders quickly expressed solidarity with France, and pledged to confront “those that seek to incite and spread hatred”.

“I condemn the odious and brutal attack that has just taken place in Nice, and I am with France with all my heart,” tweeted European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen.

“We will remain united and determined in the face of barbarity and fanaticism.”

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she is “deeply shaken by the brutal murders”, and that “my thoughts are with the relatives of those murdered and injured. Germany stands with France at this difficult time”.

In a statement issued later by EU Council chief Charles Michel, the 27 leaders expressed solidarity with France, but made no reference to the controversy over cartoons mocking the Prophet.

‘Vile attack’

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte condemned a “cowardly attack” and said: “Our convictions are stronger than fanaticism, hatred and terror. We embrace the families of the victims and our French brothers. We are united!”

His Spanish counterpart, Pedro Sanchez, added: “We continue to defend freedom, our democratic values, peace and the security of our citizens.”

Harder tone from Hungary

A harder tone came from Hungary, where populist Prime Minister Viktor Orban wrote that the attack showed clearly “that our culture, our way of life and our European values are in the cross hairs of extremist terrorism”.

“We are ready to join forces in order to protect traditional European values and the traditional European way of life.”

Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, who previously governed with far-right ministers, called the murders in Nice “a despicable Islamist terror attack”.

“We will defend our values and European ‘way of life’ with all our might against Islamists and political Islam.”

India, UK ‘stand with France’

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a Hindu nationalist, strongly condemned the “heinous attack in Nice”, adding that his country also “stands with France in the fight against terrorism”.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted in English and French that he is “appalled” by the “barbaric attack at the Notre-Dame Basilica”.

“Our thoughts are with the victims and their families, and the UK stands steadfastly with France against terror and intolerance.”

‘Sowing death’

Pope Francis prayed for the victims as the Vatican said “terrorism and violence can never be accepted”.

“Today’s attack has sown death in a place of love and consolation,” said Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni.

The pontiff urged people in France, a multicultural society, to “unite to combat evil with good”.

During talks with the Italian foreign minister, Israeli President Reuven Rivlin warned: “The attempt to foment war between religions is inconceivable”.

“There is no war between Christianity and Islam, or between Judaism and Islam, and we must be sure that no one is allowed to make that happen.” – AFP, October 30, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Hansard Digital System: Anwar’s favourite word is ‘billion’ and Hadi’s is ‘Islam’

Malaysia / 2mth

Softening PAS’s hardline image an uphill task, says analyst

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut