World

Philippine island left without power after deadly typhoon: Red Cross

The local Red Cross chief said there are no telecoms services on the island and it could take months to restore power

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Nov 2020 10:00PM

Philippine island left without power after deadly typhoon: Red Cross
Goni came a week after Typhoon Molave roared through the same region, where resources had already been stretched by the Covid-19 outbreak. – AFP pic, November 3, 2020

MANILA – It could take months to restore power to a Philippine island of 260,000 people devastated by the country's most powerful typhoon this year, the Red Cross said Tuesday.

Eight towns on Catanduanes were cut off and an estimated 25,000 houses destroyed by Typhoon Goni, which was packing winds of 225 kph when it slammed into the island Sunday before sweeping across southern Luzon.

Robert Kaufman, country head for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, told AFP there are no telecoms services on the island and it could take months to restore power.

Emergency personnel were trying to reach eight towns that have been cut off by landslides, Kaufman said after a flying visit.  

"Building after building, house after house... if it's not destroyed it's damaged," Kaufman said.

"Many people, who were already hanging on by a thread, now their livelihood is really turned upside down and they will need support."

Ferocious winds and torrential rain destroyed at least 25,000 homes on the island and damaged another 45,000, he said, but the numbers are expected to rise. 

Goni came a week after Typhoon Molave roared through the same region, where resources had already been stretched by the coronavirus outbreak. 

At least 20 people were killed by Goni as it crossed the Philippines, including six on Catanduanes and 14 in nearby Albay province on Luzon, authorities have said. 

"The situation is both heartbreaking and also hopeful," said Kaufman, who also inspected the damage in Albay where volcanic mudslides buried scores of homes.

"There was a lot of devastation... but one thing that I saw is an incredibly resilient population."

Around 400,000 people were evacuated ahead of the typhoon which, Kaufman said, "saved lives".

"They have a lot of experience with large-scale storms, with catastrophic typhoons... people knew to vacate the area and take shelter in evacuation centres."

Many of the deaths were people who had left shelters before the typhoon had passed, he said. – AFP, November 3, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Opinion / 2mth

ASEAN’s renaissance: A new lease of life in the multipolar world

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar proposes ASEAN food security standby arrangement during crises

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas denies involvement in reported diesel shipment to Philippines

Malaysia / 4mth

Sabah claim frequently used as political polemic in Philippines - Hajiji

Malaysia / 5mth

Farm Fresh confirms farm director killed in helicopter crash in Philippines

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit