World

IS claims Vienna shooting as Austria mourns

Authorities now say the attacker may have been a lone gunman acting with no accomplices

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Nov 2020 7:00AM

IS claims Vienna shooting as Austria mourns
Flowers, candles and an Austria scarf are left at a memorial site at the scene of an attack in Vienna, Austria on November 3, 2020, one day after a shooting at multiple locations across central Vienna. – AFP, November 4, 2020

VIENNA – Austrian investigators were on Tuesday piecing together the Monday evening rampage through central Vienna by a lone gunman and later claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group, as Chancellor Sebastian Kurz called for a European response to “political Islam”.

Four people were killed when Kujtim Fejzulai, described as a 20-year-old IS sympathiser who had spent time in prison, opened fire with a Kalashnikov in a busy area of the Austrian capital the day before the country went into a new coronavirus lockdown.

IS – which has claimed numerous attacks in Europe – said Tuesday a “soldier of the caliphate” was responsible for the carnage, according to its propaganda agency.

Police shot the gunman dead on Monday and later swooped on 18 different addresses and made 14 arrests as they looked for possible accomplices and sought to determine if he had acted alone.

After reviewing CCTV footage of the attack in an area teeming with bars and restaurants not far from the historic sights of central Vienna, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said the video “does not at this time show any evidence of a second attacker”.

Vienna police have asked people who filmed moment of the attack to share their recordings with the authorities to aid in tracking the gunman's route through the capital, rather than posting them to social media.

On Fejzulai's computer, investigators found incriminating evidence including a photograph recently posted on Facebook showing him carrying the automatic weapon and a machete used during the attack.

Police said he was also wearing a fake explosive belt.

‘Repulsive’ attack

Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz condemned the shooting as a “repulsive terror attack”, which he said killed a waitress, a young passer-by and an older man and woman.

He called on the European Union to fight against “political Islam” saying it was an ideology that represented a “danger” to the model of the European way of life, in an interview published in Germany's Die Welt newspaper.

His government will face questions about how an individual known to security forces had been able to buy weapons and cause havoc on the streets of the usually peaceful capital, often listed as having the world’s highest quality of life.

The investigation is spanning several countries, with Switzerland making two arrests and Macedonia, where Fejzulai has family roots, cooperating with the Austrian authorities.

The attack came after several Islamist atrocities in France, including an assault on churchgoers in the Mediterranean city of Nice and the beheading of a schoolteacher near Paris.

The recent re-publication of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in France has caused new tensions worldwide, sparking protests in some Muslim-majority countries and calls from several terror groups for their followers to take revenge.

Britain on Tuesday upgraded its terrorism threat level from “substantial” to “severe”.

‘Fooled the system’

Nehammer said Fejzulai had been convicted and jailed for a terror offence in April last year for trying to travel to Syria.

The dual Austrian and Macedonian national had then been admitted to a government-funded de-radicalisation programme and had managed to secure an early release in December from a 22-month prison sentence.

“The perpetrator managed to fool the de-radicalisation programme of the justice system, to fool the people in it, and to get an early release,” Nehammer said.

“It was clear that the attacker, despite all the outward signs of having integrated into society, did exactly the opposite.”

A large swathe of central Vienna was cordoned off around the location of the shootings as police combed the area.

“It sounded like firecrackers, then we realised it was shots,” one witness told public broadcaster ORF after the attack began. Another spoke of at least 50 shots being fired.

‘Shock and sorrow’

The small Alpine nation of nine million people had until now been spared the sort of major attacks that have hit other European countries such as France, Germany and Britain in the last decade.

The last significant attacks date back to the 1970s and 1980s and were carried out by pro-Palestinian militants.

“This isn’t Berlin and it isn't Paris. We're perhaps a big city but nothing really bad ever happens here,” said hotel receptionist Sharut Gunduz.

The bloodshed triggered an outpouring of solidarity from world leaders with French President Emmanuel Macron saying the people of France shared the “shock and sorrow” of the Austrian people.

Across the country, flags were lowered to half-mast on public buildings and people observed a minute of silence at noon as church bells rang out.

Kurz, President Alexander Van der Bellen and other officials took part in a wreath-laying ceremony in honour of the victims.

‘Common struggle’

Twenty-three wounded people were in hospital Tuesday, with seven in a critical condition, Vienna's hospital association said.

Police said an officer was among those hurt.

Germany joined the Czech Republic in stepping up checks at their borders in order to stop possible accomplices.

“The fight against these assassins and those who instigate them is our common struggle,” said Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Related News

World / 3y

Austria says national jailed in Iran for alleged spying

World / 3y

Austria expels four Russian diplomats: ministry

World / 3y

10 skiers accounted for after Austrian resort avalanche

Places / 3y

In verdant Vorarlberg, architecture draws inspiration from nature

World / 3y

Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz dies aged 78

Art / 4y

Ai Weiwei warns of 'shaking foundation' of democracy

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident