World

Prince Andrew seeking jury trial in sex assault case in New York

This means he will likely have to appear in court in person, say experts

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 27 Jan 2022 12:00PM

Prince Andrew seeking jury trial in sex assault case in New York
Prince Andrew, the second son of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, has withdrawn from public life as a royal since 2019 after a widely ridiculed BBC interview where he sought to vindicate himself of the accusation. – AFP pic, January 27, 2022

NEW YORK – Britain’s Prince Andrew is seeking a jury trial to clear his name in the sexual assault civil complaint he is fighting in New York, and which has already left him in disgrace and forced him to withdraw from royal duties, his lawyers announced yesterday.

“Prince Andrew hereby demands a trial by jury on all causes of action asserted in the complaint,” his attorney wrote in a motion filed at a Manhattan federal court.

His accuser, Victoria Giuffre, has said she had sex with the prince when she was 17 and a minor under United States law after meeting him through the late US financier Jeffrey Epstein, who committed suicide in prison two years ago while awaiting trial for sex crimes.

The prince has not been criminally charged and has denied the allegations.

Earlier this month Andrew was stripped of his honorary military titles and charitable roles after Judge Lewis Kaplan denied his plea to dismiss Giuffre’s case, making a civil trial in New York more likely.

There is still the possibility that the two parties could reach a financial settlement outside of court – though Giuffre’s New York lawyer, David Bowies, said yesterday: “We look forward to confronting Prince Andrew with his denials and attempts to blame Ms Giuffre for her own abuse at his deposition and trial.”

Giuffre, who is now 38, alleges that Andrew sexually assaulted her at the London home of socialite and Epstein friend Ghislaine Maxwell after a night out dancing in March 2001.

She sued the prince last year for unspecified damages, alleging that she was trafficked to him by Epstein and Maxwell.

Last month Maxwell was convicted of recruiting and grooming young girls to be sexually abused by Epstein, exposing a murky world of sex trafficking among the rich and powerful.

The motion filed yesterday, which contested each point in Giuffre's complaint, reiterated that “Prince Andrew denies that he was a co-conspirator of Epstein or that Epstein trafficked girls to him”.

As well as the London allegations, Giuffre also says Andrew assaulted her at Epstein’s home in New York, and on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.

Lawyers for Andrew and Giuffre named the first witnesses they hope to grill in the lawsuit in mid-January.

Andrew’s attorneys said in a filing that they were seeking testimony from Judith Lightfoot, Giuffre’s psychologist in her adopted home of Australia.

Lawyer Melissa Lerner said that the prince’s legal team wants to quiz Lightfoot about what was discussed during her counselling sessions with Giuffre.

The prince’s lawyers argue that Giuffre “may suffer from false memories” and want to ask Lightfoot about the “theory of false memories”, Lerner wrote in a formal “letter of request” submitted to Kaplan that would compel testimony in Australia.

In a separate filing, Giuffre’s lawyers told judge Kaplan that they wanted to question two witnesses based in Britain, including Shukri Walker, who claims to have seen Andrew at the nightclub in London with a young girl around the time of the alleged assault.

Kaplan said earlier this month that he expected a civil trial would come “between September and December” 2022.

According to lawyers in New York, Andrew would first have to give a sworn statement to a lawyer, likely in Britain, and respond to questions from the plaintiff’s American lawyers. 

The answers to those questions would be submitted as evidence to the jury, which would then decide on any financial compensation. 

Experts say the prince will likely have to appear in person at some point or risk being tried in absentia, which could look bad for him. 

Giuffre’s civil complaint cannot automatically turn into criminal proceedings, though nothing prevents US prosecutors from pursuing charges in the future if they believe Andrew has committed a crime.

Andrew, the second son of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, withdrew from public life as a royal in 2019 after a widely ridiculed BBC interview where he sought to vindicate himself of the accusation.

In other signs of social ostracism since, Andrew last week deactivated his social media accounts and the York Racecourse in northern England has announced it is renaming an event called The Duke of York Stakes – even though this refers to an earlier bearer of the title. – AFP, January 27, 2022

Related News

World / 3y

Princes Harry, Andrew out in the cold at coronation

People / 3y

Prince Andrew documentary to air during King Charles’ coronation

World / 3y

Ghislaine Maxwell appeals to overturn sex crimes conviction

World / 4y

Ghislaine Maxwell appeals sex crimes conviction, sentence

World / 4y

US judge denies Ghislaine Maxwell request for new trial

World / 4y

Disgraced US billionaire Epstein ally found dead in French prison: prosecutors

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons