World

Austria police raid dozens of ‘Islamist-linked’ targets

Operation comes a week after IS supporter kills four in shooting rampage

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 09 Nov 2020 8:55PM

Austria police raid dozens of ‘Islamist-linked’ targets
Interior Minister Karl Nehammer says the police action is aimed at cutting off the roots of political Islam. – AFP pic, November 9, 2020

VIENNA – Austrian police today raided more than 60 addresses allegedly linked to radical Islamists, with orders for 30 suspects to be questioned, prosecutors said.

The operation came a week after a convicted Islamic State group supporter killed four people in a shooting rampage in the heart of Vienna, but prosecutors said the raids were not linked to the attack.

Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said the police action was aimed at “cutting off the roots of political Islam”.

The Styria region prosecutors’ office said it was “carrying out investigations against more than 70 suspects and against several associations which are suspected of belonging to and supporting the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas organisations”.

It said “the operation has no connection to the terror attack in Vienna of November 2” but was the result of “intensive and comprehensive investigations carried out for more than a year”.

Among the alleged offences are forming a terrorist association, financing of terrorism, and money laundering.

The raids took place in the Styria, Carinthia, Lower Austria, and Vienna regions.

“We are acting against these criminal, extremist and inhuman organisations with all our strength,” Nehammer said in a statement.

The prosecutors’ statement said the operation “was not targeted at Muslims or Islam as a religious community”.

“On the contrary these measures are also intended to protect Muslims, whose religion is abused for the purposes of an ideology hostile to the constitution,” it said.

Last Monday’s shooting was the first major attack of its kind in Austria for decades and the first blamed on a jihadist.

The gunman was identified as Kujtim Fejzulai, 20, a dual Austrian-Macedonian national who was convicted last year of trying to go to Syria to join IS.

Austria has acknowledged security lapses in the run-up to the attack, including failing to act on warnings about Fejzulai and his contacts from Germany and Slovakia.

The head of Vienna’s anti-terror agency was suspended last week after further revelations came to light about intelligence failings.

Last week the government also ordered the closure of two mosques in Vienna frequented by the attacker.

Meanwhile, European Council President Charles Michel and France’s European Affairs Minister Clement Beaune will visit Vienna today to meet Chancellor Sebastian Kurz and to discuss cross-border cooperation in the fight against terror.

Kurz will also take part in talks via video link with French President Emmanuel Macron, whose country has been hit by a spate of jihadist attacks. – AFP, November 9, 2020

Related News

World / 2y

Russia’s FSB nabs suspects in deadly Moscow concert attack after IS claims responsibility

World / 3y

Philippine troops kill alleged SEA IS leader

Places / 3y

Iraqi museum damaged by IS works toward reopening

World / 3y

AFP journalist killed in rocket attack in Eastern Ukraine

World / 3y

Taliban killed IS ‘mastermind’ behind Kabul airport blast: White House

Malaysia / 3y

ISIS-linked Uzbek militants visited M’sia before arrests in Indonesia: expert

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation