World

Trump’s refusal to concede defeat an ‘embarrassment’, Biden says

US president-elect, however, dismisses stand-off as unimportant

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Nov 2020 9:00AM

Trump’s refusal to concede defeat an ‘embarrassment’, Biden says
Donald Trump is filing suits alleging voter fraud in the US election, with only the flimsiest evidence supporting them. – AFP pic, November 11, 2020

WILMINGTON – President-elect Joe Biden yesterday called Donald Trump’s refusal to concede his US presidential election loss an “embarrassment”, but dismissed the stand-off as unimportant.

“I just think it’s an embarrassment, quite frankly,” said Biden when asked what he thinks about Trump’s refusal to acknowledge defeat in the November 3 vote.

“How can I say this tactfully? I think it will not help the president’s legacy,” he told reporters in his Delaware hometown here.

A week after the election, Trump remains in the White House, pushing an alternate reality that he is about to win and filing suits alleging voter fraud that so far have been backed up by only the flimsiest evidence.

Biden, meanwhile, mostly ignored Trump.

“The fact that they’re not willing to acknowledge we won at this point is not of much consequence in our planning.”

The Democrat signalled that despite attempts by Trump to stymie his transition to power, he is increasingly a president in waiting.

In his latest exchanges with international leaders, he spoke yesterday with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin.

Asked what his message to them was, he said: “I’m letting them know that America is back. We’re going to be back in the game. It’s not America alone.”

Trump’s attempt to hold on to power has become all-consuming for a man who often makes a point of publicly mocking rivals as “losers”.

“WE WILL WIN!” the Republican tweeted early yesterday, referring to his so far unsuccessful suits.

“WATCH FOR MASSIVE BALLOT COUNTING ABUSE.”

Emphasising the atmosphere of intransigence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told a testy news conference that he is preparing for “a smooth transition to a second Trump administration”.

Since election day, Trump has made few public appearances, and seems to have all but shelved normal presidential duties.

His only known activities outside the White House have been to play golf twice over the weekend, after the results came in. – AFP, November 11, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 9mth

The power of being in the room

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

World / 2y

FBI identifies Trump shooter asThomas Matthew Crooks, 20

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar condemns assassination attempt on Trump

World / 2y

Trump hurt in assassination attempt

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington