World

US holds off on enforcing TikTok ban

Shutdown order won’t go into effect ‘pending further legal developments’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Nov 2020 7:05AM

US holds off on enforcing TikTok ban
The Donald Trump administration claims that TikTok poses a security threat due to its links to Beijing. – Pixabay pic, November 13, 2020

WASHINGTON – The US government has decided against enforcing its ban on Chinese-owned social media sensation TikTok to comply with a federal court ruling issued in a national security case, a media report said yesterday.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the US Commerce Department has decided to hold off on enforcing a Donald Trump administration order to ban the video-sharing app owned by the Chinese-based ByteDance.

The move comes after a federal court in Pennsylvania blocked the Trump administration from carrying out the ban, which had been ordered by the White House based on claims that the app posed a security threat due to the company’s links to Beijing.

According to the report, the Commerce Department said the shutdown order will not go into effect “pending further legal developments”.

Other court cases are also pending on the matter.

ByteDance had been given until yesterday to restructure ownership of the app in the US to meet national security concerns, but it filed a petition at a court here this week asking for a delay.

The company, in a Tuesday statement, said it had asked the government for a 30-day extension because of “continual new requests and no clarity on whether our proposed solutions would be accepted”, but it was not granted.

The Trump administration has been seeking to transfer ownership of TikTok to an American business to allay security concerns, but no deal has been finalised. – AFP, November 13, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Two podcasters remanded for two days over alleged controversial episode

Malaysia / 2mth

Food stall operator in Ipoh robbed by two men, daughter appeals for help (video)

Malaysia / 5mth

Defence questions prosecution's reliance on TikTok videos presented in Muhyiddin's trial

Malaysia / 5mth

Timorese man gets 10 years’ jail for raping girl he met on TikTok

People / 5mth

Rape victim, now pregnant, takes to social media seeking prayers

Malaysia / 11mth

Fahmi, IGP, AG to meet TikTok over fake news, online safety issues

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit