World

Two Libya shipwrecks in a day cost almost 100 lives

So far this year, more than 900 people have drowned in the Mediterranean trying to reach European shores

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Nov 2020 11:45PM

Two Libya shipwrecks in a day cost almost 100 lives
Shipwrecks are seen on the coast of the northwestern Libyan port city of Zuwarah on May 5, 2015 at a beach where migrants reportedly try to leave the North African country in the hope of reaching Europe – AFP pic, November 13, 2020

TRIPOLI –Twenty migrants have died in a shipwreck off the Libyan coast, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said, raising to almost 100 the death toll from two such Mediterranean tragedies the same day.

MSF teams in the northwestern city of Sorman “assisted three women as the lone survivors of another shipwreck (Thursday) where 20 people drowned”, the group said on Twitter.

“Rescued by local fishermen, they were in shock and terrified; they saw loved ones disappear beneath the waves, dying in front of their eyes,” said MSF..

Earlier, the UN's International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported “a devastating shipwreck which claimed the lives of at least 74 migrants today off the coast of Khoms”, a port city 120 kilometres east of the Libyan capital Tripoli.

It said 47 survivors had been brought back to shore and 31 bodies retrieved, adding that the boat was reported to be carrying more than 120 people.

Bodies from that shipwreck were lined up grimly along the beach on Thursday, some still wearing life jackets.

Traumatised survivors sat in shock on the shore, while others huddled under blankets as aid workers distributed food parcels.

The US embassy to Tripoli said the shipwrecks amounted to “another horrific migrant tragedy – another reminder of the need for a settlement to the #Libya conflict now in order to focus on the prevention of tragedies like this.”

European ambassador Jose Sabadell said: “We need to work together to prevent these horrific events from happening again.”

The IOM said Friday that “many women and children” were aboard the two boats, adding that the body of a toddler was among those retrieved.

“Staff in the region reported that more bodies continued to wash ashore overnight,” IOM added.

So far this year, more than 900 people have drowned in the Mediterranean trying to reach European shores, it said.

More than 11,000 others have been returned to Libya, it added, “putting them at risk of facing human rights violations”.

Human traffickers have taken advantage of persistent violence in Libya since the 2011 overthrow of dictator Moamer Kadhafi, turning the country into a key corridor for migrants fleeing war and poverty in desperate bids to reach Europe.

While many have drowned at sea, thousands have been intercepted by the Libyan coastguard, which has been backed by Italy and the EU, and returned to Libya.

They mostly end up in detention, often in horrific conditions.

The IOM called for “a change of approach to Libya and the most dangerous maritime route on earth that ends the return of migrants to the country” and establishes “predictable safe disembarkation mechanisms”. – AFP, November 13, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Tourism industry needs to shift to EVs systemically – MATTA

Malaysia / 1y

New pope favoured the continuity of Francis' reforms in the Catholic Church

Malaysia / 1y

Warisan Youth present fact sheets to challenge GRS on Sabah’s immigration records

Malaysia / 1y

Sarawak feeling impact of international scrutiny on deforestation, says minister

Business / 1y

Malaysia's trade grows 9.3% in 2024, October exports rebound amid US and EU demands

Malaysia / 1y

Group demands EU designate Sarawak as ‘high risk’ under new law

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation