World

Dutch ban New Year fireworks over virus fears

This is to avoid extra pressure on already overburdened care works, says Dutch govt

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Nov 2020 7:50PM

Dutch ban New Year fireworks over virus fears
New Year's celebrations in the Netherlands are notoriously wild, with people setting off tens of millions of euros worth of fireworks in back gardens and streets, often causing injuries. – Pixabay pic, November 14, 2020

THE HAGUE – Yesterday, the Dutch government outlawed traditional fireworks over New Year, saying the one-off ban would help hospital workers overburdened by the Covid-19 pandemic.

New Year's celebrations in the Netherlands are notoriously wild, with people setting off tens of millions of euros worth of fireworks in back gardens and streets, often causing injuries.

That threatens to clash with a second wave of Covid-19 infections, with more than half of the country's 609 intensive care beds currently occupied by coronavirus patients.

"The sale and lighting of fireworks will face a one-off ban during the coming year-end," the Dutch cabinet said in a statement.

"This is to avoid extra pressure on already overburdened care workers and to maintain public order," it said.

Anyone breaching the ban will be liable for a €100 (RM488) fine and a criminal record, Dutch Justice Minister Ferd Grapperhaus told public broadcaster NOS.

The Netherlands has been under a partial coronavirus lockdown since early October to curb the coronavirus pandemic, with cases on a slow downward trajectory but currently running at around 6,000 a day.

Although fireworks have been set off for centuries in the Netherlands, it has been particularly popular at New Year's since the 1950s.

The Dutch fondness for fireworks turns streets to battlefields as rival groups of revellers fire them at each other, flooding emergency wards with people with burn injuries of missing limbs.

Last year more than 1,300 people had to be treated for fireworks-related injuries.

"Even without the impact of coronavirus, there is always a heavy burden on first-aid workers and police over this time," Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said at his weekly news conference yesterday.

An organisation representing the pyrotechnics industry in the Netherlands, however, questioned the wisdom of the move.

"We are afraid that due to the ban some fireworks enthusiasts will turn to illegal fireworks" with lower safety standards, said Marcel Teunissen, chairman of the Dutch Pyrotechnics Federation (BPN).

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Malaysia / 7mth

King and queen extend New Year greetings for 2026

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates