World

IS claims deadly attack on Burkina Faso troops

Latest bout of violence comes ahead of presidential, legislative elections on November 22

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 15 Nov 2020 9:30AM

IS claims deadly attack on Burkina Faso troops
The midweek ambush claimed by IS that killed 14 soldiers in Burkina Faso is one of the worst on troops. – Wikimedia pic, November 15, 2020

OUAGADOUGOU – The Islamic State yesterday said it staged a midweek ambush that killed 14 soldiers in jihadist-hit Burkina Faso ahead of elections this month.

IS in the Greater Sahara said it carried out the raid, one of the worst on troops, in a message carried on its Amaq news outlet and social media.

The group said it killed 20 soldiers travelling in a convoy on Wednesday in Tin-Akoff in Oudalan province.

Rival organisation the Jihadist Group to Support Islam and Muslims on Friday claimed responsibility in social media posts.

A government spokesman on Thursday put the death toll at 14, while blaming “armed terrorist groups”.

The attack took place in the country’s north, near the border with Mali and Niger, and ahead of presidential and legislative elections on November 22.

The latest bout of violence has seen several candidates, including President Roch Marc Christian Kabore, suspending campaigning for two days.

The unrest will prevent residents of almost 1,500 villages out of some 8,000 in the country from taking part in the vote.

But in September, Parliament passed a law allowing the results to be validated even if polling does not take place everywhere.

The Burkinabe armed forces have suffered a spate of attacks.

In the worst, 24 soldiers died at a military base in Koutougou in the north in August last year.

The jihadists have been making incursions from neighbouring Mali since 2015 and killed at least 1,200 people, while forcing more than a million from their homes. – AFP, November 15, 2020

Related News

World / 2y

Russia’s FSB nabs suspects in deadly Moscow concert attack after IS claims responsibility

World / 3y

Philippine troops kill alleged SEA IS leader

Places / 3y

Iraqi museum damaged by IS works toward reopening

World / 3y

Taliban killed IS ‘mastermind’ behind Kabul airport blast: White House

Malaysia / 3y

ISIS-linked Uzbek militants visited M’sia before arrests in Indonesia: expert

World / 3y

Indonesia detains four Uzbek nationals for suspected terrorist influence

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident