World

Almost 90,000 sexual abuse claims expected against US Boy Scouts

88,000 claims filed to date, says attorney

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Nov 2020 2:10PM

Almost 90,000 sexual abuse claims expected against US Boy Scouts
The Boy Scouts of America, founded in 1910, has 2.2 million members between the ages of five and 21. – AFP pic, November 17, 2020

WASHINGTON – Almost 90,000 victims of sexual abuse that took place in the Boy Scouts of America had come forward by yesterday evening, the deadline to receive compensation from the organisation, said a lawyer for the victims.  

Attorney Michael Pfau said that there had been "88,000 claims filed to date". 

“It will probably be 100,000 by day's end,” said Pfau.

The figure, revealing the scale of alleged abuse committed over decades by scout leaders, dwarfs the roughly 11,000 complaints believed to have been filed in recent years against the Catholic Church.

“We are devastated by the number of lives impacted by past abuse in scouting and moved by the bravery of those who have come forward,” the scouting organisation said in a statement.

“We are heartbroken that we cannot undo their pain.

“We intentionally developed an open, accessible process to reach survivors and help them take an essential step toward receiving compensation. The response we have seen from survivors has been gut-wrenching. We are deeply sorry.”

The group, founded in 1910, has 2.2 million members between the ages of five and 21. 

Rocked by accusations of sexual abuse, the BSA filed for bankruptcy in February in an effort to block settlement claims from hitting the organisation directly and instead funnelled them to a compensation fund. 

The group, valued at more than US$1 billion (RM4.1 billion), has not said how much they intend to spend via this fund. – AFP, November 17, 2020

Related News

World / 3y

Court finds Trump liable for sexually abusing writer

World / 3y

London police facing questions after officer admits serial rapes

Malaysia / 3y

Nearly half of child abuse cases in Melaka involve sexual crime: welfare exco

Entertainment / 3y

R. Kelly convicted of child pornography charges

Malaysia / 3y

Teenage actress’ father in remand for allegedly physically abusing daughter

Malaysia / 3y

Police call in four over case involving alleged sexual abuse of child actress

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons