World

Hundreds protest in Santiago against Chilean president

Police fired tear gas and water cannon to keep around 500 protesters from approaching the Moneda presidential palace

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Nov 2020 1:00PM

Hundreds protest in Santiago against Chilean president
The demonstrators blocked the capital's main Alameda thoroughfare near the palace for about two hours, leaving rush-hour commuters affected by the tear gas. — AFP pic, November 19, 2020

SANTIAGO — Hundreds of people protested in Chile's capital Santiago on Wednesday to demand the resignation of President Sebastian Pinera over police repression of the country's social protests.

Police fired tear gas and water cannon to keep around 500 protesters from approaching the Moneda presidential palace.

The demonstrators blocked the capital's main Alameda thoroughfare near the palace for about two hours, leaving rush-hour commuters affected by the tear gas.

The protest came three weeks after Chileans voted overwhelmingly in a referendum to replace the constitution inherited from the 1973-1990 dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet, blamed for the South American country's glaring inequalities.

The referendum was a key demand after months of demonstrations that left more than 30 dead broke out in October 2019, initially against rising public transport fares but quickly mushrooming into wider anger at social inequality.

Despite an almost 80% approval for the change, 37-year-old Alex Acuna told AFP he was taking part in the demonstration because "nothing has been achieved" yet.

"Pinera has always been asked to resign from the beginning because of everything that has happened in the social explosion, like the systematic human rights violations," he said. 

"There have been deaths, a number of people left with eye trauma, and no one is responsible! The high command never goes to court or to prison," he said.

Interior Minister Victor Perez resigned earlier this month after Congress approved a constitutional charge against him over police handling of the protests, after it was widely condemned by human rights organizations.

Danae Cariqueo, another protester, said the anti-government demonstrations would continue.

"You can't let go of the street, it's where the people make themselves heard," the 27-year-old said.

"That is why they are so afraid of us and repress us as they are doing. We'll continue until it's over and everything changes." — AFP, November 19, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons