World

UK to unveil 'largest military investment' in three decades

Increased UK military investments will target "cutting-edge technology", including cyber and space capabilities

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Nov 2020 5:00PM

UK to unveil 'largest military investment' in three decades
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Downing Street office said the cash boost would "cement the UK's position as the largest defence spender in Europe and the second-largest in NATO". – AFP pic, November 19, 2020

LONDON – Prime Minister Boris Johnson will on Thursday unveil what is being billed as Britain's biggest programme of investment in the armed forces since the end of the Cold War.

In a speech to lawmakers in parliament, Johnson will announce an extra £16.5 billion (US$22 billion, 18.5 billion euros) in funding over the next four years.

It follows the ruling Conservatives' commitment in their election manifesto last year to increase defence spending by 0.5% above inflation until 2025.

Johnson's Downing Street office said the cash boost would "cement the UK's position as the largest defence spender in Europe and the second-largest in NATO".

It comes despite Britain's economy suffering a historic downturn this year due to the coronavirus crisis, which has seen the government spend unprecedented sums to support people and businesses.

"I have taken this decision in the teeth of the pandemic because the defence of the realm must come first," Johnson said in remarks released ahead of his speech.

"The international situation is more perilous and more intensely competitive than at any time since the Cold War and Britain must be true to our history and stand alongside our allies."

He added the new funding was "our chance to end the era of retreat" and that it would be used to "upgrade our capabilities across the board".

'Threats' 

Britain's increase in military spending, which will total £24.1 billion (US$31.8 billion, 26.9 billion euros) over four years, comes at a pivotal moment for the country.

After formally leaving the European Union in January, it will end the 11-month Brexit transition period at the end of the year and begin a new era in international trade and relations.

Meanwhile, US President-elect Joe Biden will take power in late January, with trans-Atlantic allies hoping that marks a more stable period for NATO after the tumult of the Trump years.

Newly appointed United States acting defense secretary Christopher Miller hailed the move Wednesday evening.

"The UK is our most stalwart and capable ally, and this increase in spending is indicative of their commitment to NATO and our shared security," he said in a statement. "With this increase, the UK military will continue to be one of the finest fighting forces in the world."

Increased UK military investments will target "cutting-edge technology", including cyber and space capabilities, while also addressing "weaknesses in our defence arsenal", Downing Street said.

Johnson will announce a new agency dedicated to Artificial Intelligence, the creation of a National Cyber Force and a new "Space Command", capable of launching its first rocket by 2022, it added.

Meanwhile, after a boost of £1.5 billion (US$1.9 billion, 1.6 billion euros), nearly £6 billion (US$7.9 billion, 6.7 billion euros) will be spent on military research and development, including on upgrading aerial warfare systems.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said the settlement provided the "financial certainty we need to modernise, plan for the future and adapt to the threats we face".

"Defence will be at the forefront of creating the jobs and business opportunities that will help us build back from the pandemic," he added. – AFP, November 19, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation