World

UK cops release man held over 1974 pub bombings

Police remain committed to finding perpetrators of bombings blamed on IRA.

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Nov 2020 10:15PM

UK cops release man held over 1974 pub bombings
Two pubs were bombed in central Birmingham on November 21, 1974, attacks that were blamed on the IRA. – Pixabay pic, November 20, 2020

LONDON – A 65-year-old man has been released after he was arrested in connection with one of Britain's worst terror attacks, the 1974 Birmingham pub bombings that killed 21, police said.

The pensioner was detained in Belfast on Wednesday in what relatives of victims of the attacks called a "positive step" as they push for a full public inquiry into what happened.

West Midlands Police said late yesterday the man, who was held under the Terrorism Act, was interviewed in Belfast and his home was searched before being released.

Detective Chief Superintendent Kenny Bell, from the West Midlands Counter Terrorism policing unit, said officers remained committed to finding the perpetrators.

"Let me assure families of the victims and the people of Birmingham that we're working relentlessly to find the bombers and bring them to justice," he added.

Six men were convicted of the attacks carried out on two pubs in central Birmingham on November 21, 1974, which were blamed on the Irish Republican Army (IRA).

But their convictions were overturned in 1991 and they were released in what was one of Britain's gravest miscarriages of justice.

The IRA, which fought against British rule in Northern Ireland, has never claimed responsibility.

A coroner's inquest into the deaths, which was halted at the time because of the criminal case, resumed last year and concluded the IRA was behind the bombings.

One anonymous member of the paramilitary group gave evidence to say he had been involved and named others behind the attack, which also injured more than 180.

Families want a further investigation as the inquest ruled there were no police failings in the case. Two warning calls were said to have gone unheeded. – AFP, November 20, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Two policemen seriously injured after violent attack by drug addict

Malaysia / 2mth

Man injured after attack by crocodile in Port Dickson

Malaysia / 4mth

Drug suspect attacks policeman with machete in Melaka

Malaysia / 4mth

Police tracking four suspects related to machete attack in Triang

Malaysia / 5mth

Alleged attack on Zamri Vinoth: 4 men surrender, remanded for 2 days to assist probe

Malaysia / 6mth

Defamation case linking Ismail Sabri to attack on Rafizi's son classified as NFA

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons