World

Rival Libya leaders play blame game after Tripoli clashes kill 32

One premier accuses other of responding to foreign agendas, while the other says rival is power-hungry

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 29 Aug 2022 10:00AM

Rival Libya leaders play blame game after Tripoli clashes kill 32
People inspect the damage following clashes between backers of rival governments in Tripoli, Libya yesterday. The two leaders of the nation are currently accusing each other of being accountable of the chaos. – AFP pic, August 29, 2022

TRIPOLI – Libya’s rival premiers yesterday traded accusations over deadly clashes in Tripoli – the worst in the capital since a landmark 2020 ceasefire and which sparked fears of a major new conflict.

The health ministry said 32 people were killed and 159 wounded during the fighting between rival armed groups which began overnight Friday and continued into Saturday, setting buildings on fire and damaging several hospitals.

The fighting came after months of mounting tensions between backers of Abdulhamid Dbeibah and Fathi Bashagha, whose administrations are vying for control of the oil-rich North African country.

Dbeibah, whose government was installed in Tripoli in the country’s west as part of a United Nations-led peace process last year, accused his rivals of responding to “foreign agendas”.

Local media and experts said Bashagha had failed in what was his second attempt to dislodge his rival from the capital in three months.

In a video address yesterday, Dbeibah lashed out at “criminals” and “putschists” who “waged war on the capital with tanks and heavy weapons”.

He vowed to “go after all those involved” and to relocate the headquarters of some armed groups outside the city centre.

Earlier, his rival Bashagha, who was appointed by Libya’s eastern-based parliament this year, said Dbeibah, “his ruling family and his armed gangs” were “responsible for the blood that flowed” in Tripoli, accusing them of wanting to cling onto power “at any cost”.

Bashagha, a former interior minister, is backed by powerful eastern military chief Khalifa Haftar, whose 2019 attempt to seize the capital by force turned into a year-long conflict.

Dbeibah has refused to cede power on the grounds that the next administration should be the product of elections.

Libya plunged into chaos following the 2011 overthrow and killing of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in a Nato-backed uprising, with myriad armed groups and foreign powers moving to fill the power vacuum.

A cautious calm had set in by Saturday evening, an AFP correspondent reported. Flights resumed and shops re-opened yesterday.

During the fighting, rockets “were flying over our heads, in the middle of residential buildings,” said resident Mohammed Abaya, 38.

“We were terrified,” said another resident, retiree Lotfi Ben Rajab. “A rocket fell in my neighbour’s living room but didn’t explode, thank God”.

Bashagha had initially ruled out the use of violence to take power in Tripoli but subsequently hinted that he could resort to force.

Certain armed groups, seen as neutral in the latest crisis, returned to support Dbeibah this weekend to push back Bashagha.

The public prosecutor on Sunday asked the head of passports to issue travel bans against Bashagha, some of his ministers and a former military intelligence official, according to a letter carried by local media.

Dbeibah said earlier yesterday he would create two committees to survey the damage from the fighting.

Dbeibah’s Government of National Unity said fighting had broken out after negotiations to avoid bloodshed in Tripoli collapsed. Bashagha denied such talks had taken place.

The UN’s Libya mission had called for “an immediate cessation of hostilities”, deploring “indiscriminate medium and heavy shelling in civilian-populated neighbourhoods”.

Local media reported late Saturday that a group of pro-Bashagha militias that had been making their way to the capital from Misrata later turned back.

The fighting prompted several airlines to cancel flights to and from the capital, but flights resumed and shops reopened yesterday morning. Educational institutions said student exams would go ahead today.

On Saturday evening, Dbeibah ordered the arrest of anyone involved in the “attack on Tripoli”, both civilian and military.

A pro-GNU force from Misrata – the hometown of both Dbeibah and Bashagha – said yesterday it had arrested several “assailants”.

But analysts said the crisis was far from resolved, with the capital controlled by a multitude of armed groups with shifting alliances.

The “groups that found themselves on the same side in yesterday’s Tripoli fighting will tomorrow clash over turf, positions and budgets,” analyst Wolfram Lacher said on Twitter.

“The factions that were pro-Dbeibah yesterday will challenge him tomorrow.” – AFP, August 29, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

Bersatu looks beyond PN as Muhyiddin signals new alliance after Negeri polls

Sports & Fitness / 3y

One died in Argentina football clash: official

World / 3y

Death toll from Tripoli clashes rises to 23, 140 injured

World / 4y

Libyan protesters storm, set fire to Parliament in Tobruk

World / 4y

Fresh clashes rock Libyan capital after failed coup

Heritage / 4y

Libyan artisans restore old Qurans for Ramadan

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran