World

Kyrgyz-Tajik clashes death toll rises to 36

Latter’s Interior Ministry says civilians among those killed

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 18 Sep 2022 9:00PM

Kyrgyz-Tajik clashes death toll rises to 36
Volunteers collect humanitarian aid for people evacuated from the town of Batken in Bishkek, yesterday. Despite agreeing a ceasefire to hostilities on Friday, both Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan have since traded accusations of breaching it. – AFP pic, September 18, 2022

BISHKEK – The Kyrgyz Health Ministry said today that at least 36 people had been killed in recent border clashes with Tajikistan, increasing its earlier figure of the latest violence between the Central Asian neighbours.

“The total number of dead as a result of the armed conflict in the (Kyrgyz) Batken region is 36,” and another 134 have been injured, the ministry said in a statement.

The previous toll given by the ministry stood at 24 killed.

The Tajik Interior Ministry said yesterday civilians had been killed in the clashes, but did not provide a figure.

The two sides agreed to a ceasefire on Friday but since then have traded accusations of breaching it.

After more clashes yesterday, the night passed “quietly, without incidents” the Kyrgyz border authorities said this morning.

“The country’s leadership is taking all measures to stabilise the situation, prevent attempts of escalation... in a peaceful way,” the border authorities said.

Yesterday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on the leadership of both sides “to engage in dialogue for a lasting ceasefire”, said a spokesman.

Border disputes have dogged the ex-Soviet republics through their three-decade independence, with around half of their 970-km-long border still to be demarcated.

Both Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are part of the Russia-led Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) but they regularly clash.

Russia has urged the two countries to de-escalate and said it was ready to help them find a “longterm” solution to the border issues.

In 2021, unprecedented clashes between the two sides killed at least 50 people and raised fears of a larger conflict. – AFP, September 18, 2022

Related News

World / 3y

Colombia strikes ceasefire deal with main armed groups

World / 4y

Kyrgyzstan’s ‘controversial’ health minister jailed for graft

World / 5y

Kyrgyzstan elects new prime minister

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran