World

France lockdown ends Dec 15

Shops allowed to reopen from as early as Saturday

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Nov 2020 9:00AM

France lockdown ends Dec 15
France reported 458 new coronavirus deaths yesterday, taking the total to 50,237. – November 25, 2020

PARIS – France aims to lift a nationwide lockdown on December 15, President Emmanuel Macron said, with shops authorised to reopen as early as Saturday after weeks of closure.

In a TV address yesterday, Macron said some restrictions will remain in place to avoid a resurgence of the virus, and the threat of another lockdown.

"We have slowed the spread of the virus," Macron said, "but it is still very much present".

Only moments before the president's address, France's health agency reported 458 new coronavirus deaths over the past 24 hours, taking the total to 50,237.

But according to health authorities, the second virus wave reached its peak last week, with numbers of new infections, new hospital admissions and new intensive care patients all declining, while death figures have stabilised.

"If we don't want a third lockdown, we must intensify our efforts," Macron said, by protecting the most vulnerable groups and wearing masks "including when we're with friends or with relatives who don't live under the same roof".

The current lockdown, in force since the end of October, will be replaced by a countrywide curfew from 9pm to 7am starting December 15, Macron said, except on December 24 and 31 – Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.

"We will be able to travel without authorisation, including between regions, and spend Christmas with our families," Macron said.

French people should, however, avoid "pointless travel", he said.

Cinemas, theatres and museums will be allowed to reopen on December 15.

But restaurants – as well as high schools – will have to wait until January 20 to reopen, and only on condition that daily new virus cases drop below 5,000, Macron said.

He gave no target date for any reopening of bars, cafes or nightclubs.

France's 350 ski resorts, among the most popular in Europe, will not be allowed to reopen in time for the year-end holiday season, Macron said.

It was preferable, Macron said, to plan for a re-opening of the resorts in January "under favourable conditions".

Starting on Saturday and pending the December 15 end to the lockdown, people will be allowed to move freely in a radius of 20km around their homes for up to three hours a day, compared with 1km for up to one hour now.

Religious ceremonies will also be authorised again from Saturday, but are limited to 30 people, Macron said.

Macron also said that he hoped that the first Covid vaccines would be available for use by the end of December or in early January.

Vaccines would be made available to high-risk populations first and will not be made mandatory, Macron vowed.

Government spokesman Gabrial Attal said earlier that France had already signed three vaccine contracts with pharmaceutical companies, while talks with three others were "at a very advanced stage" and other discussions ongoing. Each contract signed would cover about 30 million vaccine doses, Attal said. – AFP, November 25, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month