World

Ethiopian PM warns against foreign ‘interference’ in Tigray

Warning comes as Ethiopian forces poised to launch assault on Tigrayan capital

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Nov 2020 11:00PM

Ethiopian PM warns against foreign ‘interference’ in Tigray
Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed says the central government's forces are ‘very much capable’ of handling the conflict against Tigray's regional leaders. – Facebook pic, November 25, 2020

ADDIS ABABA – Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed today rejected what he called international “interference” in Ethiopia's affairs, ahead of a deadline for Tigray's regional leaders to surrender or face an assault on their capital, Mekele.

Abiy, the winner of last year's Nobel Prize, late Sunday gave the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) 72 hours to surrender – an ultimatum rejected by the leader of the dissident northern region, who has said his people are “ready to die” for their homeland.

As the clock ticked down, the UN Security Council held its first meeting on the three-week old crisis, with particular concern for civilians.

Ethiopian forces say they are encircling the city with tanks ahead of an assault on the TPLF, and have urged its half million residents to leave.

Rights groups have warned that attacking the city could constitute a war crime. The UN, US, EU and others have urged restraint, and called for an immediate halt to hostilities.

Abiy has resisted calls for mediation and insists the “law enforcement operation” against the TPLF is entering its decisive final stage.

In a statement today, he said Ethiopia appreciated the concern but stressed his government was “very much capable” of resolving the matter on its own.

“While we consider the concerns and advice of our friends, we reject any interference in our internal affairs,” Abiy said.

“We therefore respectfully urge the international community to refrain from any unwelcome and unlawful acts of interference and respect the fundamental principles of non-intervention under international law.”

The African Union, headquartered in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, has dispatched three former African presidents as special envoys to try and broker talks. 

A spokesman for an Ethiopian committee handling the conflict said Monday the government would meet the envoys “as a matter of respect” but flatly ruled out negotiations with the TPLF.

Fighting between the Ethiopian army and Tigrayan forces has raged since November 4, when Abiy ordered a military response to what he said were TPLF attacks on federal military camps.

More than 40,000 refugees have fled the violence into eastern Sudan, and rockets have fallen on the Eritrean capital Asmara and Ethiopian cities outside Tigray, spurring fears the conflict could widen.

Hundreds have reportedly been killed, including at least 600 civilians that Ethiopia's rights watchdog says were massacred in the town of Mai-Kadra.

Efforts to gauge the actual situation on the ground has been further complicated by a communications blackout enforced by Abiy’s government on the region. – AFP, November 25, 2020
 

Related News

World / 3y

Horn of Africa drought drives 22 mil to hunger

World / 4y

Sudan accuses Ethiopia of killing 7 soldiers, one civilian

Science / 4y

Yves Coppens, a co-discoverer of 'Lucy' dies at 87

World / 4y

Child malnutrition soars in Ethiopia as drought worsens: charity

World / 4y

Horn of Africa drought drives 20 million towards hunger

World / 5y

Rape survivors describe slavery, mutilation in Tigray: Amnesty

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident