World

Paris train gunman was ‘looking for US soldiers’

Ayoub El Khazzani tells trial he could not bring himself to shoot

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Nov 2020 12:10PM

Paris train gunman was ‘looking for US soldiers’
Gunman Ayoub El Khazzani is speaking at his trial over the 2015 Paris train attack for the first time. – Pixabay pic, November 26, 2020

PARIS – The Moroccan gunman on trial for an attempted terror attack on a Paris-bound train five years ago said yesterday he had aimed at the heads of American soldiers but could not shoot.

On August 21, 2015, after drinking a coffee at the station in Brussels, Ayoub El Khazzani told the court that he boarded the Amsterdam-Paris high-speed Thalys train concealing an AK-47 automatic rifle and 300 rounds of ammunition.

Speaking at his trial for the first time, he said he was under orders from Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who had travelled with him to Europe from war-torn Syria to guide the cell behind the deadly attacks in November 2015 in Paris and in March 2016 in the Belgian capital Brussels.

"I took my seat. I started looking for the people he had spoken to me about, American soldiers, people from the European Commission. Honestly, it was to kill them," the 31-year-old Khazzani told the court.

He said he eventually located his American targets. 

The presiding judge asked him: "How did you recognise them?" 

"Abaaoud had told me they were young and burly, that they spoke English," Khazzani replied.

'I could not do it' 

"I decided to attack the American soldiers," the defendant said through an interpreter.  

He said he went to the toilet to prepare the attack but that he was in a bad state.

Nevertheless, he took his pistol and Kalashnikov rifle out of his bag took and armed himself, he said.

"I was trembling," he recalled.

When he emerged from the toilet, he ran into passenger Mark Moogalian and ended up shooting him in the back with his pistol when the English professor grabbed his Kalashnikov.

"I aimed at his hand," he said. 

In the courtroom's first row, Moogalian, seriously wounded in the attack, listened with his head lowered and his hand holding his wife's.

Khazzani said he then saw Spencer Stone, a US Air Force serviceman who was on vacation with friends.

"I aimed at his head... I could not do it. I cannot explain to you. It was too much... I let him grab me," he said. 

The prosecution argues that Khazzani failed to carry out a massacre on the train because of defective munitions and passengers who intervened to subdue him.

Testifying last week, Aleksander Skarlatos, a former national guardsman and Stone's friend, told the court he understood immediately what was happening when he heard a gun shot and knew they could have died that day. 

The pair decided to go after the gunman. Stone eventually caught him and rolled on the ground with Khazzani, at one point warning that the attacker had a pistol, which Skarlatos said he grabbed.

'Attempted terrorist murder' 

Khazzani, who joined the Islamic State group in Syria in May 2015, is charged with "attempted terrorist murder".

In the dock with him are three men facing charges for aiding and abetting the crime: Bilal Chatra, Redouane Sebbar and Mohamed Bakkali.

Belgian Abaaoud, who Khazzani named as the operation chief, is believed to have been one of the masterminds behind several attacks in Europe.

French police killed Abaaoud after he shot indiscriminately at packed cafe terraces in Paris on the night of the November 2013 coordinated attacks, for which Bakkali is also accused of having acted as logistics coordinator. – AFP, November 26, 2020

Related News

Film / 1mth

Netflix film with Mark Wahlberg a major boost to Penang’s international profile

Malaysia / 2mth

Shooting aggressive sacrificial cow: Police confirm Perlis MB has shotgun license

Malaysia / 3mth

Duo nabbed over shooting incident in Bangsar, pistol and imitation gun seized

Malaysia / 5mth

Arrest made in connection with Bukit Kayu Hitam shooting, says Saifuddin

Malaysia / 7mth

Malaysia Airlines flight MH21 declares emergency in French airspace (Updated)

Malaysia / 7mth

Cops confirm shooting at Banting restaurant, motive under probe

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus