World

More than 1 million displaced since Myanmar coup: UN

Over 12,000 civilian properties burned, destroyed, humanitarian agency says

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 09 Oct 2022 11:00AM

More than 1 million displaced since Myanmar coup: UN
Since the coup and as of last month, 1,017,000 people have been internally displaced and more than half of those forced to flee are in the country’s northwest Sagaing region, which has seen some of the fiercest fightings, Unicef says. – Screen grab, October 9, 2022

YANGON – More than one million people have been displaced in Myanmar since the military coup last year, the United Nations children’s agency has said.

The Southeast Asian nation has been in turmoil since the military ousted Aung San Suu Kyi’s government last year, sparking widespread armed resistance.

The junta has responded with a crackdown that rights groups say includes razing villages, mass extrajudicial killings and airstrikes on civilians.

Since the coup and as of last month, 1,017,000 people have been internally displaced, Unicef said in a statement on Thursday.

It added that more than half of those forced to flee are in the country’s northwest Sagaing region, which has seen some of the fiercest fightings.

There were “significant challenges” to delivering humanitarian assistance in the region, Unicef said.

Sagaing is crisscrossed by junta troops, pro-military militias and anti-coup fighters and where authorities regularly cut internet access.

More than 12,000 civilian properties were thought to have been burned or destroyed across Myanmar since the coup, the UN humanitarian agency Unocha said in May.

Last month, at least 11 schoolchildren died in an airstrike and firing on a village in Sagaing, an attack the junta said targeted rebels hiding in the area.

Diplomatic efforts to end the crisis are moribund.

A “consensus” brokered last year by Asean aimed at facilitating dialogue between the military and its opponents and the delivery of humanitarian aid has been largely ignored by the junta. – AFP, October 9, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Opinion / 1y

Anwar Ibrahim and a nation in transition

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest