World

New York Post ‘hacked’ in tweets calling for assassination of Biden, lawmakers

Investigation indicates unauthorised conduct committed by employee, it says

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 28 Oct 2022 9:30AM

New York Post ‘hacked’ in tweets calling for assassination of Biden, lawmakers
Following the ‘hacking’ incident, the New York Post says the investigation indicates that the unauthorised conduct was committed by an employee, adding that the worker in question had been fired – tweets published yesterday, included a call for the assassination of US President Joe Biden (pic), along with a demand to kill New York lawmaker Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. – AFP pic, October 28, 2022

NEW YORK – The New York Post said yesterday it had been “hacked” by an employee after the tabloid newspaper’s Twitter account posted a series of antagonistic messages, including a call for the assassination of United States President Joe Biden.

The rogue tweets were removed late yesterday morning. 

“The New York Post has been hacked. We are currently investigating the cause,” a message on the tabloid’s account said.

“The New York Post’s investigation indicates that the unauthorised conduct was committed by an employee,” the Post said in a statement, adding that the worker in question had been fired.

The tweets, published yesterday morning, included a call for the assassination of Biden, along with a demand to kill New York lawmaker Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. 

The messages were formatted to look like normal tweets usually posted by the newspaper, which is owned by NewsCorp, the media empire owned by Australian billionaire Rupert Murdoch. 

One tweet – which relied on racist cliches to criticise New York Mayor Eric Adams, who is Black – linked to an article on the paper’s site with the same title as the tweet text, according to BuzzFeed News reporter David Mack, which he said suggested the hacker had some kind of inside access to the Post’s content management system. 

“The employee has been terminated,” the newspaper said in its statement. 

“We have immediately removed the vile and reprehensible content from our website and social media accounts.” – AFP, October 28, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

SMEs most vulnerable to data breaches and hacking – expert

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

World / 2y

Biden drops out of presidential race

Malaysia / 2y

Beware of ‘wedding invites’ carrying malware, says Bukit Aman

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus