World

Israel minister puts submarines probe on hold

Police suspect individuals of corruption in the purchase of German assets

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Nov 2020 12:20PM

Israel minister puts submarines probe on hold
Israeli police suspect individuals in and outside the military of corruption in the purchase of the submarines from German industrial giant ThyssenKrupp for around US$2 billion. – Pixabay pic, November 30, 2020

JERUSALEM – Israel's Defence Minister Benny Gantz yesterday froze a probe into the purchase of German submarines that had riled Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, following a Justice Ministry request.

The investigative commission from the Defence Ministry to "shine a light on parts of the process surrounding the purchase of these submarines", announced a week ago, has heightened tensions between the two longtime rivals.

Israeli police suspect individuals in and outside the military of corruption in the purchase of the submarines from German industrial giant ThyssenKrupp for around US$2 billion (RM8.2 billion).

Among those allegedly implicated in the affair is a lawyer for the prime minister, David Shimron, who faces accusations of money laundering related to the purchase.

Yesterday, Attorney-General Avichai Mandelblit asked for the commission to delay its work.

"I would request that the commission does not begin its work until the completion of the examination" by the Justice Ministry, Mandelblit said.

Gantz said the commission would wait for Mandelblit to give the green light.

"The commission's work and conduct will take place in accordance with the professional directives of the attorney general... in order to not interfere with the criminal process," he said in a statement.

Netanyahu and Gantz had put aside their intense rivalry earlier this year to forge a coalition after repeated elections failed to yield a viable government.

But Netanyahu last Monday charged that Gantz's "shameful" commission was designed to "scrape together votes" in a future election.

"After all the enforcement authorities determined time and again that Prime Minister Netanyahu had nothing to do with the submarine affair, Gantz put together a biased committee," he told members of his Likud faction.

Netanyahu in May became the only sitting head of government in Israel's history to face trial on corruption charges, which are not connected to the submarine purchases. – AFP, November 30, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3w

KDN: Israeli travel documents not recognised for entry into Malaysia

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

World / 2mth

Does Iran have nukes?

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar condemns piracy-like interception of GSF vessels, urges safe return of Malaysians

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia's diplomatic efforts on Iran issue should be given credit - PM

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons