World

WHO warns malaria fight flat-lining

Global tally of cases at 229 million – a figure that has been at the same level for the past 4 years

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Nov 2020 2:20PM

WHO warns malaria fight flat-lining
More than 90% of the malaria disease burden is in Africa. – Pixabay pic, November 30, 2020

GENEVA – Progress in eliminating malaria has stalled in recent years, the World Health Organisation said today, with more than 400,000 people once again estimated to have died from the disease last year.

In its World Malaria Report 2020, the WHO said progress against the mosquito-borne disease was plateauing, particularly in African countries bearing the brunt of cases and deaths.

Last year, the global tally of malaria cases was estimated at 229 million – a figure that has been at the same level for the past four years.

Meanwhile, the once rapidly-falling death toll has effectively come to a standstill in the last two years.

After steadily tumbling down from 736,000 in 2000, the disease claimed an estimated 411,000 lives in 2018 and 409,000 in 2019.

"A better targeting of interventions, new tools and increased funding are needed to change the global trajectory of the disease and reach internationally agreed targets," the WHO said.

Call to arms 

The UN health agency said a funding shortfall posed a "significant threat", with only US$3 billion  (RM12.3 billion) of a US$5.6 billion target raised last year.

"Funding shortages have led to critical gaps in access to proven malaria control tools," it said.

Rather than a uniform approach, countries have recently begun to adopt tailored responses based on local data and intelligence, in order to try to keep up the pressure on malaria.

More than 90% of the disease burden is in Africa. The continent accounted for an estimated 384,000 malaria deaths last year.

"It is time for leaders across Africa – and the world – to rise once again to the challenge of malaria," said WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

"Through joint action, and a commitment to leaving no one behind, we can achieve our shared vision of a world free of malaria," the former Ethiopian health minister said.

In 2019, four countries accounted for nearly half of all malaria cases globally: Nigeria (27%); the Democratic Republic of the Congo (12%); Uganda (5%) and Mozambique (4%).

Coronavirus concerns 

The WHO's report found that most malaria prevention campaigns went ahead without major delays throughout the coronavirus pandemic.

But there were concerns that with efforts to tackle the disease flatlining, the ongoing Covid-19 crisis could prevent further progress.

"Covid-19 threatens to further derail our efforts to overcome malaria, particularly treating people with the disease," said Matshidiso Moeti, the WHO's regional director for Africa.

"Despite the devastating impact Covid-19 has had on African economies, international partners and countries need to do more to ensure that the resources are there to expand malaria programmes which are making such a difference."

The WHO said that even a moderate disruption in access to anti-malarial treatment could lead to considerable loss of life.

Its report said that a 10% disruption in access to effective treatment in sub-Saharan Africa could lead to 19,000 additional deaths.

Progress worldwide 

The report said 21 countries had eliminated malaria over the last two decades.

Outside of Africa, it said India had continued to make impressive gains over the last two years, with an 18% reduction in cases and a 20% reduction in deaths.

And, despite the ongoing threat of antimalarial drug resistance, the six countries of the Greater Mekong subregion of southeast Asia were making major gains towards their goal of malaria elimination by 2030, it said.

The reported number of malaria cases in the subregion fell by 90% from 2000 to 2019. – AFP, November 30, 2020

Related News

Community / 1mth

Penang: Old age is not a problem, but a new reality to embrace, says Exco

World / 2mth

Trump's health: Weighs 108kg, heart age 14 years younger, hands bruised from frequent handshakes – Doctor

Community / 3mth

Penang on track to ensure the best for the aged

World / 3mth

European countries monitor cruise-linked Hantavirus cases as WHO urges calm

Malaysia / 3mth

Government’s RM5.7 billion spending cut a bold move to curb waste, says PKR leader

Malaysia / 3mth

Funding cutbacks may jeopardise public health, education, safety and crime prevention needs – Guan Eng

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren