World

US Supreme Court freezes removal of policy blocking migrants

20 states want Title 42 to remain, fear surge in undocumented foreigners

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 20 Dec 2022 1:30PM

US Supreme Court freezes removal of policy blocking migrants
The United States Supreme Court has put a pause on the the imminent scrapping Title 42, a key policy used since Donald Trump’s administration to block migrants at the southwest border, amid worries over a surge in undocumented immigrants. – AFP pic, December 20, 2022

WASHINGTON – The United States Supreme Court halted yesterday the imminent scrapping of a key policy used since Donald Trump’s administration to block migrants at the southwest border, amid worries over a surge in undocumented immigrants.

An order signed by Chief Justice John Roberts placed an emergency stay on the removal planned for tomorrow of Title 42, which allowed the government to use Covid-19 safety protocols to summarily block the entry of millions of migrants.

Roberts placed government immigration policy on temporary hold in response to a last-minute petition from 20 states arguing that ending Title 42 would create a gush in migrants that would overwhelm their services.

They cited the Homeland Security Department (DHS) predicting that border crossings, mostly by Mexicans and other Latin Americans asking for asylum, could triple to 18,000 every day.

“The greatly increased number of migrants resulting from this termination will necessarily increase the states’ law enforcement, education, and healthcare costs,” they argued.

The move came after an appeals court in Washington ruled last Friday that there was no longer justification for using Title 42 to sweepingly reject asylum-seekers.

The policy was put in place in March 2020, in Trump’s final year in office, as the Covid-19 pandemic swept into the US.

In their petition, the mostly Republican-led states – which include border states Texas and Arizona as well as Missouri, Ohio and Virginia – asked that beyond the stay, the court take on the full case over the law.

Roberts gave the parties 24 hours to respond. That left open the possibility that Title 42 could still end this week, or, conversely, that the court could decide to keep it in place while it reviews the case more broadly.

The administration of President Joe Biden had previously accepted a lower court ruling that Title 42 was no longer justified to block asylum seekers and other migrants.

Last week the White House said DHS was prepared to deal with the expected surge but gave few details on how it would do that.

“We have an intensive all-of-government effort underway to prepare,” said White House Spokesman Karine Jean-Pierre.

DHS said in a statement that Title 42 will remain in effect as a result of the high court’s stay order, and that “individuals who attempt to enter the US unlawfully will continue to be expelled to Mexico.”

While litigation proceeds, “we will continue our preparations to manage the border in a safe, orderly, and humane way when the Title 42 public health order lifts,” DHS said.

Conservative lawmakers swiftly commended the stay, with some urging that Title 42 be codified in US law.

Top House Republican Kevin McCarthy said he was “glad to see the Supreme Court inject some temporary sanity into the situation.” – AFP, December 20, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 5mth

US tariffs: Government to avoid any hasty decisions, stresses PM

World / 3y

Mexico’s top court elects first woman president

World / 3y

US Supreme Court to consider black voting rights case

World / 4y

Peruvian Supreme Court upholds woman’s right to euthanasia

World / 4y

Family of US Supreme Court justices to get security protection

World / 4y

Judge blocks Biden plan to lift border expulsion policy

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation