World

Baby among five killed as car runs down shoppers in Germany

51-year-old driver suffering from ‘psychiatric problems’, under the influence of alcohol at the time 

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Dec 2020 9:30AM

Baby among five killed as car runs down shoppers in Germany
People attend a church service at the cathedral for the victims after a car drove into pedestrians in Trier, southwestern Germany, on December 1, 2020. –  AFP pic, December 2, 2020

TRIER, Germany – A baby was among five people killed when a car tore through a pedestrian shopping street in the southwestern German city of Trier on Tuesday, police said, after arresting the driver.
Prosecutor Peter Fritzen said the driver, a 51-year-old Trier native, appeared to be suffering from “psychiatric problems” and had been under the influence of alcohol during the incident, in which 14 other people were hurt.
Police said they had “no indications of a political motive” after questioning the suspect, and Fritzen said prosecutors were considering requesting he be placed in psychiatric care.
At the same press conference, Trier mayor Wolfram Leibe said those killed when the man drove his SUV into the shoppers included a nine-month-old and a 73-year-old woman. 
“I think this is Trier’s darkest day since World War II,” he said.
Also killed were a 25-year-old woman and a 45-year-old man. Police have not yet released details on the fifth victim. 
Malu Dreyer, premier of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate where Trier is located, expressed shock that a baby was among those killed by the driver’s “insane act” and shared her condolences with all the affected families.
The baby’s mother was being treated in hospital for injuries sustained in the rampage.
Witnesses had earlier described seeing people being flung into the air as the car struck them.
The incident started around 1250 GMT and ended within four minutes of the first emergency calls arriving, with police intercepting the driver after he turned off a main shopping street.
Police said he had ploughed through the streets for between 600 metres and a kilometre, leaving behind a trail of destruction.
Officers sealed off the area and cleared people from the centre of the city of about 110,000 people.
Smartphone footage from an eyewitness showed the arrest of the driver, handcuffed and lying face down on the street being pinned down by several officers next to the damaged vehicle. 
In the evening, the cathedral bells were rung and a memorial service held for the victims.
Joachim, accompanied by his teenage daughters Helena and Sophia, attended the service expressing their sadness.
“We wanted to show our sympathy for those who lost their lives and those who lost a loved one,” Joachim said.
An unnamed man who said he was a former neighbour of the suspect told NTV that the driver had a history of mental issues, as well as money worries and problems with his father.
Chancellor Angela Merkel voiced her “great sadness,” and said her thoughts were with the relatives of those who were “so suddenly and violently ripped from their lives” and with the injured, in a message shared by her spokesman. 
Early footage from the scene showed stunned shoppers huddling outside stores festooned with Christmas decorations as sirens blared in the distance.
Broken glass and debris from stalls and outdoor displays were strewn along the cobbled street.
Picturesque Trier, near the border with Luxembourg, traces its history back to the Roman Empire and is often called Germany's oldest city. It is also the birthplace of Karl Marx.
Although Germany is grappling with a second coronavirus wave that has forced restaurants, bars, sports and cultural centres to close, retailers have been allowed to stay open, and many people were out Christmas shopping.
“It’s lucky that the Christmas market has been cancelled because of the pandemic, or it could have been much worse,” witness Frederic Fries told Welt TV.
The incident brought back memories of a truck rampage at a Berlin Christmas market in 2016 that killed 12 people, Germany’s deadliest Islamist attack to date.
In January 2019, a German man injured eight people when he drove into crowds on New Year's Eve in the western cities of Bottrop and Essen. He was later taken into psychiatric care.
In April 2018, a German man ploughed his van into people seated outside a restaurant in the city of Muenster, killing five before shooting himself dead. Investigators later said he had mental health problems. – AFP, December 2, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 4d

Nepturis received RM16.4m for Klang Utara police headquarters, court told

Malaysia / 4d

Pahang police reject claims of drug cartel operating in Genting Highlands

Malaysia / 1w

Pilot drug case: Police probe yields new leads

Malaysia / 1w

Inspector, policewoman plead guilty to khalwat

Malaysia / 1w

Two suspects try to escape after proceedings at Kulim Court (video)

Malaysia / 2w

Court orders police to probe foreign management institute

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen