World

S. Africa fears virus comeback as cluster outbreaks flare

Officials scramble to contain infections after flare-up was reported in Eastern Cape and Western Cape last month

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Dec 2020 5:30PM

S. Africa fears virus comeback as cluster outbreaks flare
More than half the increase is driven by infections in the Eastern Cape and around 25% by cases in the Western Cape. – The Vibes file pic, December 3, 2020

JOHANNESBURG – Localised coronavirus outbreaks in parts of South Africa have raised fears that the country could see a resurgence in cases compounded by gatherings during the upcoming festive season.

Officials in Africa’s hardest virus-hit country are scrambling to contain infections after a flare-up was reported in the impoverished Eastern Cape province and adjacent Western Cape province last month.

The national number of new daily cases crept over 3,000 last week, up 50% from an average of 2,000 earlier in November.

More than half the increase is driven by infections in the Eastern Cape and around 25% by cases in the Western Cape.

“(The) mall cluster outbreaks which we are seeing... are transient,” Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said during an emergency trip to the Eastern Cape last week.

“Something has to be done,” he stressed.

South Africa’s coronavirus transmission rate had slowed significantly after infections peaked in July, with less than three daily cases detected per 100,000 people between the end of August and the start of November.

“We are not in a second wave, but in these two provinces... we are in the midst of a resurgence,” said the government’s chief Covid-19 advisor Salim Abdool Karim.

If the new outbreaks are not contained, he warned, it would be “just a matter of time” before the uptick hits the whole country.

Hospitals in the Eastern Cape’s largest city of Port Elizabeth are already struggling, although local government officials insist they are coping.

Doctors still reeling from the first wave have asked international medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) to assist at three main public facilities.

“Hospitals indeed are overwhelmed with much higher numbers of patients... some say even higher than in July,” said MSF doctor Colin Pfaff, project medical response coordinator in the province.

“Facilities are struggling with lack of staff,” he added, blaming “chronic deficiencies” and coronavirus infections among healthcare workers.

Private facilities are also feeling the pinch.

“Our Eastern Cape hospitals are incredibly full at the moment,” said Richard Friedland, the head of South Africa’s leading private healthcare provider Netcare.

More beds are being added, “so we still have capacity to treat cases”, he said.

While the provincial government insists hospitals are neither “full”nor “overflowing”, the national doctors association this week accused the Health Ministry of failing to adequately support “overworked” staff.

In the Western Cape, authorities are pondering targeted restrictions.

“We must first do everything possible, through our individual and collective action to ensure the resurgence is rolled back,” Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said. – AFP, December 3, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Opinion / 10mth

A tale of two administrations: How Warisan and GRS shaped Sabah’s future

Malaysia / 1y

MOH closely monitoring Covid-19 amid rising cases in neighbouring countries

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Culture & Lifestyle / 1y

Renowned public health expert honoured at award ceremony in Penang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation