World

Search underway for 50 women abducted in Burkina Faso

Wives, mothers, girls taken by armed men, suspected al-Qaeda, IS-linked extremists

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 17 Jan 2023 10:00AM

Search underway for 50 women abducted in Burkina Faso
United Nations human rights chief Volker Turk, calling for the immediate and unconditional release of all the abducted women, says they were seized on Thursday and Friday, while they were out looking for food when several women managed to escape and return to their villages to raise the alarm. – @UNHumanRights Twitter pic, January 17, 2023

OUAGADOUGOU – Security forces are searching for about 50 women kidnapped by suspected jihadists in insurgency-hit northern Burkina Faso, a regional governor said yesterday.

The women were kidnapped in separate incidents on Thursday and Friday as they foraged for food, in the latest attack on civilians by suspected al-Qaeda and Islamic State-linked extremists.

United Nations human rights chief Volker Turk called for “the immediate and unconditional release of all the abducted women”, urging authorities to find and punish those responsible.

Landlocked Burkina Faso is one of the poorest and most volatile nations in the world.

Since 2015, it has been grappling with a jihadist insurgency that has killed thousands and displaced around two million people.

“As soon as their disappearance was announced, efforts were launched to find all of these innocent victims safe and sound,” Sahel regional governor Lieutenant-Colonel Rodolphe Sorgho said in a statement.

“All means available are being used, in the air and on the ground, to find these women,” a security source said.

“Aircraft are flying over the area to detect any suspect movement.”

Sorgho said the women were seized on Thursday and Friday around Arbinda, in an area under blockade by jihadist groups and dependent on food supplies from outside.

“While they were out looking for wild fruit, these wives, mothers and girls were wrongfully taken by armed men,” the governor said.

Several women managed to escape and return to their villages to raise the alarm.

Targeting women

Turk said in his statement that this “could be the first such attack deliberately targeting women in Burkina Faso”.

A senior Burkinabe military officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the women’s disappearance is “the first really big kidnapping since the security crisis began".

“Everything must be done to avoid a tragedy or a recurrence.”

France, Burkina’s ally and former colonial power, issued a statement condemning the abduction and calling for the women’s immediate release.

The jihadists have often targeted residents of Arbinda and surrounding areas.

In August 2021, 80 people, including 65 civilians were killed in an attack on a convoy taking them to Arbinda.

In many parts of Burkina, crops can no longer be cultivated because of the conflict.

In November last year, Idrissa Badini, a civil society spokesman, raised the alarm about the situation in Arbinda, saying: “The population, which has used up its reserves, is on the verge of a humanitarian disaster.”

The United Nations says nearly one million people live in blockaded areas in Burkina’s north and east.

Disgruntled army officers have carried out two coups in Ouagadougou in the past year, in a show of anger at failures to roll back the insurgency.

The latest junta leader is 34-year-old Ibrahim Traore, who seized power on September 30.

He has made security the regime’s number one priority, beefing up a volunteer militia and setting his sights on “reconquering territory occupied by the hordes of terrorists”. – AFP, January 17, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 3mth

Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding USDT10 million ransom

Malaysia / 3mth

Rescued South Korean kidnapping victim turns out to be Interpol-wanted fugitive

Malaysia / 2y

Unemployed man claims trial in Albertine Leo abduction case

Malaysia / 2y

Main suspect in kidnapping of Albertine Leo to face 15 charges

2y

Cops to establish motive for Albertine Leo’s kidnapping soon

Malaysia / 2y

Cops rearrest suspect in Albertine Leo case after finding child porn in his house

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons