World

Bangladesh begins transfer of Rohingya to controversial island

Several hundred refugees leave for Bhashan Char island

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 03 Dec 2020 11:30PM

Bangladesh begins transfer of Rohingya to controversial island
With many of the Rohingya refusing to return without guarantees for their safety and rights, and with violent drug gangs and extremists active on the sites, the Bangladeshi government has grown increasingly impatient to clear out the Cox's Bazar camps. – AFP pic, December 3, 2020

COX’S BAZAR – Bangladesh began transferring several hundred Rohingya refugees today to what the United Nations and rights groups worry is a dangerous low-lying island prone to cyclones and floods.

Almost a million Rohingya – most of whom fled a military offensive in neighbouring Myanmar in 2017 – live in a vast network of squalid camps in southeast Bangladesh.

With many of them refusing to return without guarantees for their safety and rights, and with violent drug gangs and extremists active on the sites, the Bangladeshi government has grown increasingly impatient to clear out the camps.

Today at least 10 buses left the camps in the Cox's Bazar region, headed for the port city of Chittagong, police said.

“Ten buses carrying some 400 have left for the island,” said local police chief Ahmed Sunjur Morshed.

From Chittagong the refugees are due to be taken by military landing craft to the island of Bhashan Char tomorrow, officials said.

Earlier the officials said they planned to move around 2,500 people to the low-lying silt island in a first phase.

Scores of other buses were standing by at the camps in the Cox’s Bazar region, a reporter at the scene said.

But it was unclear if more people would board the buses, with rights groups alleging that some of the refugees had been coerced into volunteering to be transferred.

Bhashan Char, measuring 52 sq km, is one of several silty strips to have surfaced in the area in recent decades.

The Bangladesh Navy has built shelters there for at least 100,000 Rohingya refugees as well as a 3m embankment to prevent flooding.

But locals say high tides flooded the island as recently as a few years ago and that cyclones, a regular occurence in the region, can cause storm surges of four or five metres.

The UN office in Bangladesh issued a terse statement today saying it was “not involved” in the relocation process and had been given “limited information”.

It said the UN had not been allowed to independently assess the “safety, feasibility, and sustainability” of the island as a place to live.

It said the refugees “must be able to make a free and informed decision about relocating” and that, once there, they should have access to education and healthcare – and be able to leave if they wish. – AFP, December 3, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3w

Penang calls on UNHCR to ensure welfare of Rohingya community

Malaysia / 1mth

When ‘safety’ becomes a cover for xenophobia

Malaysia / 1mth

Foreign worker issues to come under Cabinet review next week as government seeks sector-wide solutions

Malaysia / 1mth

Malaysia, Bangladesh seek solution to Rohingya ethnic issue through ASEAN

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month